Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Washing Machine

orei

Registered
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on offering washing machines with only cold water - ie. not offering a hot water cycle. There are obvious efficiency reasons for this as well as arguments that it is better for clothes.

It is common in Europe to have only cold water machines (or machines that do nominal heating via coil heaters in the machine). I don't think it is common in Canada, as of yet.

Is this something tenants will find acceptable or will they think I'm just being cheap ;) ?

moparcanuck

Registered
Firstly, I'm going to state that I've got no personal knowledge as I've never even heard of these before.

How do they relate in terms of cost? Certainly they would be cheaper to run, as no hot water=energy savings. However, unless they're a whole bunch cheaper than a 'normal' machine, why? Let the tenant make the decision to select the cold cycle. I know I still use at least warm, or maybe even hot, if the clothes are really dirty (we have a 2 year old, so it happens), but for more normal everyday cycles, I just hit the cold button. Done and done.

BTW, I'm assuming tenants are paying utility costs, because if you're paying them, then obviously the energy savings of no hot are savings to you.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
You could upgrade to energy efficient machines but keep the traditional hot cycle, even if you are paying the utilities. You could also turn down the hot water tap so the hot cycle is warm and the warm cycle is luke warm. None of my tenants have ever noticed or complained.

Cold water wash still hasn't really caught on here, so a "cold only" machine may not be as welcome.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
You're probably already perceived as a typical fat-cat one-percenter landlord getting rich off the poor. Why reinforce that? Unless you really can get rich by not providing hot water for washing; if so, then go for it.

moparcanuck

Registered
That actually brings up another good point. What are others replacing their washer/dryer sets with when they need to be changed out? Old style machines are definately cheaper, and even maybe a bit more durable (less features means less problems in my books overall), but there is a bit of an oooh-ahhh when you can show a unit and point out the shiny front load HE units. Makes the unit more attractive and maybe can get a few extra bucks (kinda like stainless steel appliances) Been lucky enough *knock on wood* I haven't had to replace any sets in a while, but I do have several units that the next time they give grief, it's replace, not repair.

Top Bottom