Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wasps under back step

dleischner

Registered
Hi there,

Looks like I have a wasp problem under the back step of one of my rental properties. Late on night (when the wasps were sleeping) I plugged the hole between the step and the side of the house with gap filler. I though this would trap all the wasps inside, with them eventually dying. I didn`t account for all the other wasps outside of the nest trying to get back in the next day.

It seems like the original problem is still there. Will the wasps ever go away? Is there something I can use to kill them?

Thanks
Dean

CarlaJohnson

Registered
We have a cabin on a large acreage and the wasps never seem to go away. We just tried something simple and it may have held them off a bit. In Ontario we get brown paper bags from the LCBO, but any smaller, long brown, heavy paper bag will work. (The size that holds a bottle of wine.) Fill the bag with air and tie the top with a string or wire. Attach this paper "balloon" to the building, near the nest area. It will look like a large wasp nest to the wasps and should discourage them from nesting in the area.

Also, I noticed Canadian Tire has been carrying a commercial version of the same thing.

Good Luck!

dleischner

Registered
QUOTE (CarlaJohnson @ Sep 22 2009, 07:52 PM) We have a cabin on a large acreage and the wasps never seem to go away. We just tried something simple and it may have held them off a bit. In Ontario we get brown paper bags from the LCBO, but any smaller, long brown, heavy paper bag will work. (The size that holds a bottle of wine.) Fill the bag with air and tie the top with a string or wire. Attach this paper "balloon" to the building, near the nest area. It will look like a large wasp nest to the wasps and should discourage them from nesting in the area.

Also, I noticed Canadian Tire has been carrying a commercial version of the same thing.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I`ll give that a try.

Dean

zimnicki

Registered
I had a issue like this at one of my rental properties last year, but it was in and around my hot tub, i got a can from homedepot, that when you spray, it comes out like a foam, and confuses the bees, and wasps, and kills them, and destroys the nest, it takes about 1-2 coats and about a few days, then all you have to do is wash it out with a garden hose.

Sorry that i dont know what its called, but if you go to RONA or homedepot and ask about his foam spray they`ll show you were it is.

Michael

brentdavies

Registered
Wasps do not go back to the old nest like bees do, so the nest under the stairs should only be for this year only.

Fake wasp nest work great, and I had one this year at home. A storm blew it away in early August and within one week, 2 nest in the yard.

Most sprays such as raid wasp killer only work if the nest is exposed.

Blocking the hole will work, providing they don`tfind another hole.

At the lake, we commonly burn out the nest, which can be found in the ground also. Inside old trees, boat houses, and boats. Never have found a wasp nest in a boat that is stored on water. Burning nests is dangerous in urban areas.

If time is not important, use a shop vacumn and let it run all day with the nozzle pointed at the hole. The wasps fly away and sucked up into the vacumn. Does not get rid of the queen or any eggs that have been layed.

The best method is to have a professional exterminator spray the opening with thier powder wasp and bee killer. Very effective and quick. Costs a few dollars however.

By the way I have been stung three times this year. Starting to react badly to stings, so I am somewhat sensitive.

Fall time is when wasps get very aggressive, so take care.

David90

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (dleischner @ Sep 22 2009, 01:32 PM) Hi there,

Looks like I have a wasp problem under the back step of one of my rental properties. Late on night (when the wasps were sleeping) I plugged the hole between the step and the side of the house with gap filler. I though this would trap all the wasps inside, with them eventually dying. I didn`t account for all the other wasps outside of the nest trying to get back in the next day.

It seems like the original problem is still there. Will the wasps ever go away? Is there something I can use to kill them?

Thanks
Dean

I had the same problem at an apartment building. The sprays don`t work because they don`t touch the next. My exterminator sold me a tracking powder to put down the hole where they go in and out. I did one treatment and 24 hours later the wasps were gone.

The idea is that they track the powder into the hive and kill the queen. Once the queen is dead. The wasps are gone.

Ant powder does the same job.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom