What exactly is Safe Housing Edmonton?

Allie

Registered
Jan 15, 2011
As a proactive property owner, I am taking extra steps to protect my investment. If my duplex that has been existing as a fourplex for many years, and Safe Housing of Edmonton is giving me the go ahead, can other departments from the city of Edmonton close me down if a neighbour continues to complain incessantly?

As a side note, not to detract from the topic at hand: My elderly neighbours next door has seen all the renovations going on in my property and are under the false impression that I have extra funds to build them a new fence, cut down trees etc. ...the list goes on and on. This property has existed as a fourplex for decades.I believe the basement of one side of this duplex is legal but the basement right next door to the complainers is not. I`ve visited them bearing alms, and asked them to share their concens with me but their growing laundry list of requests have become outrageous and illogical. They were nice to me when they thought I was moving in but things have changed. I believe the city has been getting lots of calls from them but they (the Development Officer of Safe Housing) seem to be responding well to my sincere intention to improve the conditions of my property and to meet fire and safety codes.

If Safe Housing approves my property, can any other departments veto this decision or close me down?

I`ve been so consumed with renovations lately that I am not on this messageboard as often as I would like. While I`m here, I wanted to thank everyone who has given me advice so far. This is my first time dealing with a property that is not a single family condo. I found REIN members to be a source of support and smarts. It can get pretty lonely and scary navigating this unfamiliar journey alone.

GarthChapman

Registered
Aug 30, 2007
Send me an email with your phone number and I can give you a verbal run-down on this. We are just completing taking our 4th property through the Safe Housing process.

The committee includes Land Use, Capital Health and The Edmonton Fire Dept (EFD)
1) They will all come out to view the property (usually a posse of about five people)
2) Land Use will first determine if the property is suitable for the intended use
3) Then they will return to determine what you will have to do to bring the property up to CURRENT Fire and Safety codes and to meet the requirements of Capital Health (which can vary widely depending on who the inspector is).
4) You will call to say you have completed the work
5) They will return to inspect the work, and are known to then notice a few more things required and add them to the list).
6) You will call and they will re-inspect
7) You will receive a sign-off that you have completed the required work and that the property now complies with current regulations - and I am still not sure how much that means that the property is now `grandfathered`, or not...

QUOTE (MatzoB @ May 4 2009, 09:19 PM) ...

If Safe Housing approves my property, can any other departments veto this decision or close me down?
Yes they can .. as health department and fire department are different agencies with different rules !

However: usually, if the FIRE rules are OK you`re OK .. assuming no health issues like mold, bed bugs, rats ...

GarthChapman

Registered
Aug 30, 2007
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ May 5 2009, 07:13 PM) Yes they can .. as health department and fire department are different agencies with different rules !

However: usually, if the FIRE rules are OK you`re OK .. assuming no health issues like mold, bed bugs, rats ...

Fire Dept and Capital Health are included in the Safe Housing team along with the Edmonton Land Use dept. They play nice with each other, although everyone defers to the wishes of Capital Health. I think they answer only to God.

In the end they all must be satisified, and I can`t think of any other groups not included. It`s actually a pretty comprehensive process, and is well executed but slow.

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Garth is right on the money.

Safe housing was put under the Health Inspector, as Health Inspectors cannot be refused entry into a property. You can refuse all other inspectors.

Safe housing only looks at properties with 3 units or more. So remove one suite, and no safe housing committee. Their orginal mandate was to look at rooming houses, then properties that have been suited.

I have worked with Safe housing for years, and currently doing a 3 plex near the U of A. Safe housing actually relaxed a number of regulations for this older property. Very easy group to work with if you are not combative.

ibuildstuff

Registered
Oct 26, 2009
Existing 4 plex? Sounds like a duplex with an illegal 4th suite. Eliminate the 4th illegal suite and you are good to go as a legal duplex. End of issue. Proceed with desired upgrades as you wish (with proper permits of course). Provided your upgrades meet required codes, no one can shut you down.