Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What is the Rent Increase... Per Dog?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi All,

One of my tenants in a triplex unfortunately passed away a few days ago. Her boyfriend who moved-in 6 months ago with 2 Big dogs(!), left me a message earlier that he wants to stay in the apartment.
I understand I can request a new renal application from him and make a decision based on that etc..I would probably have no issue with him staying there EXCEPT he has 2 big dogs(!) that scare other tenants every time they need to go to the coin laundry in the basement(!)
I guess I can`t tell him something like he can stay if he gets rid of the dogs(?) Can I increase the rent due to dogs? (well, it will not be a rent increase just his first rent EXCEPT he knows what his girlfriend used to pay as he was already lived there with her). what`s the standard: $10 per dog leg, hence $80 per 2 dogs/mo? joking. well, how can I legitimately talk about increase now, he lived there before so it is NOT new to me that he has dogs. I understand I can legally evict but prefer not to.

Any advice on best way to deal with the situation?

THANKS,
Neil

invst4profit

Registered
If he has lived there for 6 months and you were aware of it he is now legally your tenant. You are stuck with him even if he is not on the lease and unless you have a legitimate reason you can not evict or raise the rent. Dogs are not a legitimate reason and you can not force him to get rid of them.
If he is ignorant of his rights you may be able to convince him to sign a new lease at a higher rent but that will depend on your people skills and his lack of knowledge of his rights.

I would tell him he can not stay and cross my fingers hoping he will leave getting you out of a very serious problem.

Good luck.

wgraham

REIN Member
I charge $25/month/pet. I have no problem with big dogs...they tend to be less yappie than small dogs. I make sure that they are mild mannered and tell the tenant that if there are any problems with the pets that I will ask them to leave. Straight up and honest. I don`t seem to have too many problems.

Good luck,
W

housingrental

Registered
You can`t do this in Ontario...

QUOTE (wgraham @ Nov 10 2009, 10:54 AM) I charge $25/month/pet. I have no problem with big dogs...they tend to be less yappie than small dogs. I make sure that they are mild mannered and tell the tenant that if there are any problems with the pets that I will ask them to leave. Straight up and honest. I don`t seem to have too many problems.

Good luck,
W

Ready4Rent

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Nov 10 2009, 12:34 AM) Hi All,
One of my tenants in a triplex unfortunately passed away a few days ago. Her boyfriend who moved-in 6 months ago with 2 Big dogs(!), left me a message earlier that he wants to stay in the apartment.
I understand I can request a new renal application from him and make a decision based on that etc..I would probably have no issue with him staying there EXCEPT he has 2 big dogs(!) that scare other tenants every time they need to go to the coin laundry in the basement(!)
I guess I can`t tell him something like he can stay if he gets rid of the dogs(?) Can I increase the rent due to dogs? (well, it will not be a rent increase just his first rent EXCEPT he knows what his girlfriend used to pay as he was already lived there with her). what`s the standard: $10 per dog leg, hence $80 per 2 dogs/mo? joking. well, how can I legitimately talk about increase now, he lived there before so it is NOT new to me that he has dogs. I understand I can legally evict but prefer not to.

Any advice on best way to deal with the situation?

THANKS,
Neil

Neil, if he moved in 6 months ago he is your new tenant
at the same rent amount as the previous. You cannot change anything, you can raise the rent to the maximum amount by law provided it wasnt raised for the 12 months prior. The pets are included as well, unless they do damage.

You may be able to squeeze some more out of him, unless he knows his rights but that is a tricky situation should he go to the board.

Good luck,

John

invst4profit

Registered
It`s hard to understand why any one outside of Ontario would want to invest here.
Why does REIN not consider the RTA environment in Ontario when ranking cities to invest in.
The Act can and does have a significant impact on making money as a rental property owner in Ontario.

Although investors can make money in Ontario I think REIN would be doing a service to it`s members by strongly suggesting they avoid investing here due to Ontario`s anti landlord legislation.
REIN does very little to educate members on the business environment they must work in. I believe REIN could improve somewhat in that aspect of the business.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you everyone !

Greg and John, interestingly apparently he is NOT my tenant and can be serve from A2. The reason is he is not considered a spouse (only 6 months with her, not married). since he never signed a lease (I don`t even know his full name), he is NOT considered a tenant.

surprised? Regards.

invst4profit

Registered
Good Luck.

However if the tenant fights the eviction you will lose.
For a LL to use a A2 the individual must be a unauthorised occupant or a potential sublet. Since the tenant has been there for 6 months with your knowledge it is too late to play that card. You must file within 30 days of knowing they were there.

Since the individual appears to have asked if he can stay it may be he does not know his rights and you may get lucky. Check with the board before you spent the $180 to file. Call them more than once until you get the same answer at least twice.

PS: Being a spouse or being on the lease are not relevant to the LTB.

Ready4Rent

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 10 2009, 02:49 PM) Good Luck.

However if the tenant fights the eviction you will lose.
For a LL to use a A2 the individual must be a unauthorised occupant or a potential sublet. Since the tenant has been there for 6 months with your knowledge it is too late to play that card. You must file within 30 days of knowing they were there.

Since the individual appears to have asked if he can stay it may be he does not know his rights and you may get lucky. Check with the board before you spent the $180 to file. Call them more than once until you get the same answer at least twice.

PS: Being a spouse or being on the lease are not relevant to the LTB.

Well Said.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Greg

Re ranking cities... it`s because the top ten lists are province specific.. ie they have a top 10 list of cities to invest in Ontario... They`re lists don`t say that any particular city is in the top 10 in Canada..

At the rein workshops they :
1) Suggest you use a property manager and not self manage
2) Have presentations and handouts on both property management and how to manage your property manager.

I`m not sure if they should be doing more on this... or if some members just don`t absorb it...

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 10 2009, 02:10 PM) It`s hard to understand why any one outside of Ontario would want to invest here.
Why does REIN not consider the RTA environment in Ontario when ranking cities to invest in.
The Act can and does have a significant impact on making money as a rental property owner in Ontario.

Although investors can make money in Ontario I think REIN would be doing a service to it`s members by strongly suggesting they avoid investing here due to Ontario`s anti landlord legislation.
REIN does very little to educate members on the business environment they must work in. I believe REIN could improve somewhat in that aspect of the business.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 10 2009, 10:09 AM) You can`t do this in Ontario...

So you don`t charge per pet, you phrase if differently.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 10 2009, 01:10 PM) It`s hard to understand why any one outside of Ontario would want to invest here.

Don Campbell frequently asserts Alberta is one of the best landlord friendly provinces in Canada to invest.
That said Ontario is still the most populous province and where most new immigrants land (for now).

koop

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Nov 12 2009, 01:14 PM) Don Campbell frequently asserts Alberta is one of the best landlord friendly provinces in Canada to invest.
That said Ontario is still the most populous province and where most new immigrants land (for now).

We seem the have a lot of immigrants here in Manitoba too, I know we don`t have a huge population in general, but our economy is still doing well even in these times. We might not have spikes in our property values, but you don`t lose value in most towns and cities either.

Why is there no information on investing here? or is there and I just don`t see it because I`m not a member?

westboundventures

Registered
QUOTE (koop @ Nov 13 2009, 09:58 AM) We seem the have a lot of immigrants here in Manitoba too, I know we don`t have a huge population in general, but our economy is still doing well even in these times. We might not have spikes in our property values, but you don`t lose value in most towns and cities either.

Why is there no information on investing here? or is there and I just don`t see it because I`m not a member?

REIN`s research is primarily focused on Ontario, Alberta, and BC because that is where most of their members are located. They commonly identify many areas in Alberta, and tout them as the best places to invest in Canada.

Of course there are other good places in Canada to invest outside of Ontario, Alberta and BC, but these areas are not REIN`s main focus so limited information.

Top Bottom