Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What would you do?

moparcanuck

Registered
Good morning all,

I have a property where a tenant has just moved out. Four bedroom place, so naturally, they had kids in there. Over the couple of years they were in there, they managed to spill juice and stain pretty much every bedroom's carpet. The carpet is in good shape wear-wise (not ripped, torn, etc) but we can't seem to get the juice stains out. I'm torn as to whether to replace the carpet or not. Being a four bedroom, it's naturally highly likely to have a larger family again. Would you leave it and try to explain to new tenants that at least this way I'm not as concerned about an additional stain or two, or would you replace the carpet and then possibly have to deal with the same problem all over again? First time I've had carpet get this stained.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Depends on the rent you are charging. You could say "$1600 as is, or $1750 with new carpet". Or put a rug over it.

However, to get premium rent it has to be painted and new carpet installed, and look classy, and it will likely be a great investment.

Consider hardwood looking linoleum, too if you decide to replace it.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Do you really want the kind of tenants that are happy to have a carpet that is okay to stain further?

There are certain types of wear and tear that are expected and will be overlooked by quality tenants. I would not consider stained carpet to fall into this category.

bruynjustin

Registered
The main point in this is that it affects your rental charge. You will get more if you replace your old stained carpet with new one and vice versa.

3canctheayr

Registered
Get rid of the carpet and install laminate. It's not expensive. You can often get good stuff on sale and finish rooms for under $2/ft.

It looks nice, cleans easily, doesn't stain and wears well for most people. It will help you get more rent and rent faster.

I'm gradually converting all my units over to laminate as they turn over. No more carpet for me, I'm sick of it in rental units, but fine with it in my own place.

Do not leave stained carpets in a unit, as it will quickly decrease the tenant quality. Believe me, you don't want that.....

This is why we need damage deposits in Ontario, so that tenants have to be responsible for damages like the OP wrote about.

eddyb1978

Registered
I would replace the carpet all together. Over time, you will save so much on your turnover cost because carpets stain, get dirty, need cleaning and care or replacement each time your have a turnover.

We use Allure Flooring. It is commercial grade and very resilient against stains, pets etc... Price is similar to laminate. I had the same allure flooring in units for years now.

Cheers,

--

cleardot.gif
Eddy Boudiwan

President

e: 11pt; line-height: 16.866666793823242px; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Real Estate Rangers & Taft Forward Management Joint Venture

250 Davisville Ave, Toronto, ON M4S 1H2, Canada

Email: [email protected]

Cel: 647-218-7925 Fax : 416-482-8010

Over 1400 Apartments under management and growing.

Fully structured & managed Real Estate Investments. Canada/USA

www.realestaterangers.ca www.taft-forward.com

Top Bottom