Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Where do you get your news?

ChrisDavies

Registered
Hey folks,

I was responding to a question in today`s blog post, and writing it made me curious where everyone gets their news. What websites do you check daily? What feeds go into your RSS reader? What papers or magazines do you subscribe to?

I know guys like joeiannuzzi are news-addicts. How do you find it, and how do you keep it all sorted?

Chris

brentmatheson

Registered
Good post!

I`m only 30, but already don`t understand some sources. How does RSS work?!?!?

I check the following on a daily basis:
Websites
canoe.ca
edmontonjournal.com
myreinspace.com
edmontonrealestateblog.com
nytimes.com
torontostar.com and pulse 24.com (lived in Toronto for 6 years)

Newspapers:

Edmonton Journal
Edmonton Sun (only because it`s easy to read on the stationary bike at the gym)

WilliamHey

Registered
Wowwww thats a really full and so usefull list you rock bro
style_emoticons

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (WilliamHey @ Mar 7 2008, 08:39 AM)
Wowwww thats a really full and so usefull list you rock bro
<

Honestly you can spend all day browsing news sites if you wanted to.

I come here and that's it - Joe and Boris do a great job of capturing all the articles that are relevent to my business.

Other than that I get my news from the following

www.tsn.com

www.sportsnet.ca

www.edmontonoilers.com

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/37126

<

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (brentmatheson @ Mar 6 2008, 11:05 PM)
Good post!

I'm only 30, but already don't understand some sources. How does RSS work?!?!?

I check the following on a daily basis:

Websites

canoe.ca

edmontonjournal.com

myreinspace.com

edmontonrealestateblog.com

nytimes.com

torontostar.com and pulse 24.com (lived in Toronto for 6 years)

Newspapers:

Edmonton Journal

Edmonton Sun (only because it's easy to read on the stationary bike at the gym)

Some great sites to check out. I'll do a post in the future that's a How-To for RSS. It'll make your life easier.

joeiannuzzi

Registered
Ok, you all asked for it so here is "What`s behind the curtain"

1) I am not an addict of news articles as I scan but do not read 95% of them. All of you who need your daily news fix are the addicts. I internet traffic real estate economics while Don and Russell are the kingpins of this whole operation.
style_emoticons
style_emoticons
style_emoticons

2) The sources I use for real estate fundamentals are as follows:

BC - Vancouver Sun. Municipalities around BC are covered at www.vannet.com and they include Abbotsford, Surrey, Richmond, Coquitlam, etc.

Alberta - Calgary Herald, Red Deer Advocate, Red Deer Express and Edmonton Journal

Saskatchewan - Saskatoon Phoenix and Regina Leader Post

Ontario - Windsor Star, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Barrie Examiner, Orilllia Packet and Times

National - National Post and Financial Post

My favorite source is without a doubt Google. By typing in things like Toronto condos, Alberta real estate, etc and hitting the news option, I am given the latest information that is available on the internet.

One point I would really like to clairify is that my time commitment into finding these articles is not as much as many believe. I usually spend 10-15 minutes a day going through the paper editions of the Calgary Sun, Calgary Herald and Globe and Mail. When I first started doing this four years ago, it would take me around 2.5 hours but eventually I figured out what I was doing.

Please note that I have been playing hit and miss obtaining news articles on this website. I promised to call Don next week in order to obtain a system for covering the news articles relevant to REIN members across Canada while still having enough time to live. Therefore the above mentioned list may need to be revamped.

Apologies to those REIN members who live outside the areas that are not covered, but there is just far too much information out there for any one person to cover. That is why there are only four provinces listed under economic fundamentals instead of the whole country.

Please post any news articles that you encounter. What may seem trivial to you may be very important to someone else.

Finally, I would like to thank Rod Tweddle (who is my Edmonton counterpart for the Alberta news articles) and Don Campbell for helping me believe that I too could understand the economics of real estate investing.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (joeiannuzzi @ Mar 7 2008, 02:52 PM)
Ok, you all asked for it so here is "What's behind the curtain"

1) I am not an addict of news articles as I scan but do not read 95% of them. All of you who need your daily news fix are the addicts. I internet traffic real estate economics while Don and Russell are the kingpins of this whole operation.
<
<
<

2) The sources I use for real estate fundamentals are as follows:

Joe, do you manually surf the sites, or do you use a RSS-type aggregator?

joeiannuzzi

Registered
I manually surf the sites as I do not even know what an RSS-type aggregator is. Please explain.

RenManlolo

Registered
I use Google Alerts (http://www.google.com/alerts)Google Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant Google results (web, news, etc.) based on your choice of query or topic.You`ll get an email sent to you as the stories develop. I find this more useful than the RSS feeds because I always have my email client (thunderbird) open and I usually forget to check the RSS. The advantage for me is that I don`t have to spend time surfing the internet everyday, looking for stories. The stories come to me as they happen!
For example if I want to get news articles regarding a specific town I`d enter:
Search Terms: Grande Prairie Real Estate
How Often: as-it-happens
Now if you feel your getting email that`s not relevant to what you want, the beauty of it is that you can always go back and refine your alerts to be more specific. You`ll need to sign up for a google account to do that but that`s pretty easy.

Another alert I use is:
Search Terms: Don Campbell OR Don R. Campbell REIN Real Estate Canada
Type: News
How Often: as-it-happens
So basically whenever there`s a news article quoting Don about the Real Estate Market, the story is sent to me by email.

Check it out, I think it`s great. It gives you the ability to get the news that YOU want and eliminate the ones that are irrelevant. It`s good for filtering but I`m not claiming that it`s perfect. Too much filtering and you may not get many results back. It has been enough for me though.

-Ren

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (RenManlolo @ Mar 31 2008, 10:32 PM)
I use Google Alerts (http://www.google.com/alerts)

Hey, good thought Ren. Google Alerts is a good one, although I prefer not to have my inbox flooded. Then again I get about 65 RSS stories a day, so it's getting to be time to trim back.

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Mar 31 2008, 11:15 PM)
Hey, good thought Ren. Google Alerts is a good one, although I prefer not to have my inbox flooded. Then again I get about 65 RSS stories a day, so it's getting to be time to trim back.

Hi Chris,

What RSS feeds do you subscribe to on the Real Estate side? I haven't found any good ones yet.

David.

joeiannuzzi

Registered
I prefer to scroll through the captions in the newspapers and select the real estate related ones. Once you do this enough times, you will find numerous articles that spark an interest.

Also, RSS feeds may not be linked with small town papers. I am planning on covering small towns on Sundays for BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. A system for Ontario is taking more time but eventually I will get it down.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (DavidSandbrand @ Apr 1 2008, 08:28 AM)
Hi Chris,

What RSS feeds do you subscribe to on the Real Estate side? I haven't found any good ones yet.

David.

Asides from personal interests and some CBC news feeds, what's on there right now?

- Alberta Bubble

- BloodhoundBlog

- Calgary Real Estate Discussion

- Calgary Real Estate Market Blog

- Edmonton Real Estate Blog

- Edmonton Real Estate Investor

- Go Beyond MLS

- I Love Rentals!

- Real Estate Investing For Real | A BiggerPockets Investment Property Blog

- The Calgary Real Estate Blog

- vancouver (un)real estate

- Victoria Housing and Real Estate Market Blog

Therea are a couple that I ignore more than others, like Bloodhound. I should probably trim that list down.

Cheers,

Chris

PS- The 'How to use an RSS reader for Real Estate' blog post should be up at chrisdavies.ca sometime this weekend, unless I spend the whole weekend up skiing at big white.

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (joeiannuzzi @ Apr 3 2008, 09:08 PM)
I prefer to scroll through the captions in the newspapers and select the real estate related ones. Once you do this enough times, you will find numerous articles that spark an interest.

Also, RSS feeds may not be linked with small town papers. I am planning on covering small towns on Sundays for BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan. A system for Ontario is taking more time but eventually I will get it down.

That's an awesome idea. The Western Producer can be a good read for more agrivulture related news, but covers the prairies.

Top Bottom