Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whirly-birds

kir

Registered
Have you ever installed a whirly-bird for attic ventilation?

I have a quote to install 2 whirlybirds for 900 bucks?

Seems rather high.

Kir.

kfort

Registered
Those aren't difficult to do. However, if I were your contractor, I would weigh the option of doing your job vs. the 500 other jobs I could be completing and charge you accordingly.

Example... In Saskatoon where things are still going full steam ahead, I had to pay $1,100 to install a roofline ridge vent.. materials cost ~ $85. It took about 3 hours, maybe a bit less. But that same 3 hours could have shingled half a house so I was charged accordingly. It can be tough to get qualified people to come do very small jobs. Try and find a good handiman to get it done for less.

kir

Registered
That's a good price for a ridge vent. I would take that over 2 whirly birds.

Attic condensation, moisture, etc... is a pretty serious problem, so I just let them do it ASAP.

Kir

dplummer

Registered
Is this a single or two storey home? Either way it would be around a $150.00 ea.

Doug

cam2

Registered
I would stay away from whirly-bird and install maximum vents they run about a 100.00 a piece and vent aprox

800 sq feet and most important are bird,squirrel,mouse,raccoon,and bat proof.We install for about 150.00 each

depending on assess pitch of roof etc.

kfort

Registered
[quote user=kir] That's a good price for a ridge vent.

And on a raised "A" frame at 60 degree pitch! No way I was getting up there to do any work! ... and neither were the 4 roof contractors previous to this one who failed to show for the work on the date promised and never responded to repeated phone calls afterwards.... I'll tell you, there is something to be said for limited economic growth (at least for the service industry!). Pretty much any service here went to crap ~ 2007 and is still below average.... But house prices have skyrocketed!

kir

Registered
Too late, already did the whirly-birds.

Good point on birds, bats, and things like that. Never considered those creatures could fly in.

Crap!

K

Top Bottom