Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Will The Bank Of Canada Raise Rates in September

wgraham

REIN Member
Just curious what you guys think will happen in September....what will the BoC do?

wgraham

REIN Member
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Jul 30 2010, 03:13 PM) There should be an option for "I don`t know".

Interesting....over a hundred visits to this topic but only 20 votes....must mean most people don`t actually know

ChrisDavies

Registered
I think that the instability in the EU (optics), slower growth out of China (real) and the start of Seasonal Affective Disorder will let them keep rates low.

There`s little inflationary pressure and housing is slowing by itself from a BOC perspective. They also learned from the US run-up that raising rates isn`t as effective as we`d like to think at slowing the housing markets.

21krunner

Registered
I am not sure if the rates will raise in September. But I think there will be only one more uplift (of 25 basis points) in 2010. BoC will raise perhaps more slowly than some might have anticipated because I think the economic factors they monitor will suggest a touch more modest growth over the nexyt 6-9 months. Just not a fan of the HST and it sounds like recovery below the 49th will be rather modest as well.

ontariolandlord

Registered
QUOTE (21krunner @ Aug 2 2010, 03:36 PM)
I am not sure if the rates will raise in September. But I think there will be only one more uplift (of 25 basis points) in 2010. BoC will raise perhaps more slowly than some might have anticipated because I think the economic factors they monitor will suggest a touch more modest growth over the nexyt 6-9 months. Just not a fan of the HST and it sounds like recovery below the 49th will be rather modest as well.

Should they? No, of course not.

Will they? Who knows. The Banks control the BoC.

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (ontariolandlord @ Aug 2 2010, 11:06 PM) Should they? No, of course not.

Will they? Who knows. The Banks control the BoC.

Does the sun ever shine in your world, ontariolandlord?

wgraham

REIN Member
What do the mortgage brokers think? You guys have been quiet on this one......

MikeMcCrae

Registered
I think they will stay the same this round but I would like to see them rise. I think if they go up lending rules will relax a bit. Maybe my theory doesn`t make sense but I think if the investment community has access to more profit they will take on more loans.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcCrae @ Aug 4 2010, 10:12 AM)
I think they will stay the same this round but I would like to see them rise. I think if they go up lending rules will relax a bit. Maybe my theory doesn't make sense but I think if the investment community has access to more profit they will take on more loans.

How relaxed were the rules & how much did they take on when rates were in the HIGH teens in the early 80's?

wgraham

REIN Member
Well with the current poll results it would seem that REIN members feel that there is a fair bit of upside risk and no downside. So the question I would like to ask now is what are you doing about it? How are you counteracting the risk that the Bank of Canada will continue its rate hike?

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (wgraham @ Aug 10 2010, 11:55 AM)
Well with the current poll results it would seem that REIN members feel that there is a fair bit of upside risk and no downside. So the question I would like to ask now is what are you doing about it? How are you counteracting the risk that the Bank of Canada will continue its rate hike?

In this neck of the woods, the rental market is too fragile to consider raising rents to offset the higher interest rate costs. So cost cutting remains and we're trying to do that on a continuous basis already, i.e. limited opportunity to cut more.

Also, the interest rate increase would only affect people with variable rate mortgages. I understand that new 5 year mortgages, which are not depending on the BoC rate, are actually on the decline or stable.

So... unless your leveraged to the hilt, the increase interest expenses will be limited. An increase on a typical variable of $150K will be $375 per year or $31.25 per month for every 0.25% BoC rate increase. I don't think that is deadly especially if you were anticipating these increases and stress tested your economic numbers.

Also, unless the economy improves rather than double dips or stagnates, the chance of further interest rate increases is limited to non-existent. On the otherhand, if we do get more good economic growth

we should be able to offset increasing rates with increased rental rates.

So no need to panic.

jkcomm

Registered
With the world economy still somewhat fragile, I wouldn`t expect the rates to go up.

James

addbo

Registered
QUOTE (jkcomm @ Aug 31 2010, 11:12 AM)
With the world economy still somewhat fragile, I wouldn't expect the rates to go up.

James

I do believe the economy is seesawing up and down... good reports one day... crap the next... but with the recent bout of crap... I think the BoC will probably hold steady taking a wait and see... especially with the possibility of a doubledip recession increasing and not much improvement in the US economic situation...

As for panicking... I'm not sure anyone on this forum is panicking =) Just doing the fun guesstimating of what we think will occur. It should be interesting to see what comes of it... anyone interested in taking side bets? I'm gonna guess rates going down would be the ultimate long shot with the current poll results =) (While holding steady seems to be the majority) I can possibly see one more increase this year at least... maybe we're trying to catch up to Australia?
<

wgraham

REIN Member
QUOTE (addbo @ Aug 31 2010, 08:37 PM) I do believe the economy is seesawing up and down... good reports one day... crap the next... but with the recent bout of crap... I think the BoC will probably hold steady taking a wait and see... especially with the possibility of a doubledip recession increasing and not much improvement in the US economic situation...

As for panicking... I`m not sure anyone on this forum is panicking =) Just doing the fun guesstimating of what we think will occur. It should be interesting to see what comes of it... anyone interested in taking side bets? I`m gonna guess rates going down would be the ultimate long shot with the current poll results =) (While holding steady seems to be the majority) I can possibly see one more increase this year at least... maybe we`re trying to catch up to Australia?

I think the BOC has more effect with words than actions these days....if they tell people to tone it down....we tone it down. We will only get an increase if things start to really heat up which they certainly aren`t!

Bond rates are down, inflation is certainly in check, down side risks are much more prevalent than upside.....my guess is that we won`t see an increase this year!

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
My vote is one of the "don`t care" ones, in the sense that a quarter point bump won`t make any significant dent in our cash flow - and we are 100% variable rates.... we were fortunate enough to ride the cash-flow increase and/or equity pay-down increase wave as rates decreased, and are still happy with rates in many cases well below where we originally signed - money is still cheap!

Don Campbell`s teachings of money funnel (and more recently of analysis with higher rates to shock-proof the analysis) have steered us well!

TheVancouverMarket

Registered
No rise in rates in September.

QUOTE (wgraham @ Sep 1 2010, 10:18 AM) I think the BOC has more effect with words than actions these days....if they tell people to tone it down....we tone it down. We will only get an increase if things start to really heat up which they certainly aren`t!

Bond rates are down, inflation is certainly in check, down side risks are much more prevalent than upside.....my guess is that we won`t see an increase this year!

wgraham

REIN Member
Well I guess we have our answer! BoC raised rates today upping your variable rate mortgage by ~$12/100k of debt each month....

ontariolandlord

Registered
As unemployment in Canada rises.

As the US is looking at a double-dip recession.

As Ontario has a $20 billion dollar deficit.

Who does Carney truly work for?

Berubeland

Registered
QUOTE (ontariolandlord @ Sep 10 2010, 08:09 PM) As unemployment in Canada rises.

As the US is looking at a double-dip recession.

As Ontario has a $20 billion dollar deficit.

Who does Carney truly work for?

He works for me Muahahahaha

Top Bottom