Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wireless Interconnected Fire Alarms

Registered
I came across an interesting product at Canadian Tire for those of you with suited units. In Ontario the Fire Code allows for much less strict/intensive fireproofing between suited units if there are interconnected fire alarms. This can be a pain and possibly expensive to hard wire in but these units which are made by Kidde are interconnected wirelessly and are only $45/each. I put these in the apt. in my personal residence which is contained with Type X drywall but I`m using these anyways for peace of mind.

S.G.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
For the most part these work well. We have had several false alarm issues in one up/down duplex. We have no idea what has caused the false alarms as the units were placed properly. We exchanged the detectors for that property and the issue was improved but not solved.

City of Edmonton Fire Department was allowing wireless detectors for secondary suites until another City department overruled them. Now all must be hardwired. Not surprising since it is easier for wireless to fail or be tampered with. My suites were grandfathered as they had already been approved with wireless, but we hardwired the troublesome property anyway.

BTW, our electrician only charged $600 for 3 interconnected, hardwired smoke detectors. And I was shocked to discover that they didn`t need to disturb any walls and all wires are hidden. Because we had recently upgraded our attic insulation, I thought there would be no way for them to install the system without using external wiring, but happily I was wrong.

Regards,
Sherilynn

RCrein

Registered
I`m not an expert on this topic but from building my house I believe the building code called for "hardwired" smoke detectors if this is what you are referring to. So even if the fire code leaves interconnected open to interpretation, I think the building code calls for hardwired. As I say I`m not an expert but just offer this for you to consider. Best of luck with your properties.

QUOTE (Karma @ Aug 27 2010, 07:57 AM) I came across an interesting product at Canadian Tire for those of you with suited units. In Ontario the Fire Code allows for much less strict/intensive fireproofing between suited units if there are interconnected fire alarms. This can be a pain and possibly expensive to hard wire in but these units which are made by Kidde are interconnected wirelessly and are only $45/each. I put these in the apt. in my personal residence which is contained with Type X drywall but I`m using these anyways for peace of mind.

S.G.

Top Bottom