Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wood burning fire place

nepoez

Registered
Hi all,

I`m mostly concentrating in town houses in Edmonton. I see quite a few nice units at good prices now but many have wood burning fire place. I`ve been told be a PM that fire place scares him so I`ve been staying away from those.

What are your opinions on renting out units with fire places?

Thanks,
Nepoez

brentdavies

Registered
We have a number of fireplaces in our rental properties in Edmonton.

We have the fireplaces inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney sweep every couple of years if the condo corp does not it.

If the fireplace was installed by a previous owner and not the orginal builder, we definately have this checked out and have our own insurance on the property. Fairly rare in a condo.

Wood stoves are a different story. Clearances for the non uncombustible floor covering, walls and chimeny pipe are critical. If they don`t meet today`s standard, we remove the stove. Last stove has a hearth that was too small, and the insurance company did not want to insure the property.

Gas heaters in garages we almost always remove. No advantage for a heated garage ( no more rent).

nepoez

Registered
Thanks for the info. What do you think of the safety side of things? Will it not cause smoke damage when used?

QUOTE (brentdavies @ Aug 9 2008, 05:20 PM) We have a number of fireplaces in our rental properties in Edmonton.

We have the fireplaces inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney sweep every couple of years if the condo corp does not it.

If the fireplace was installed by a previous owner and not the orginal builder, we definately have this checked out and have our own insurance on the property. Fairly rare in a condo.

Wood stoves are a different story. Clearances for the non uncombustible floor covering, walls and chimeny pipe are critical. If they don`t meet today`s standard, we remove the stove. Last stove has a hearth that was too small, and the insurance company did not want to insure the property.

Gas heaters in garages we almost always remove. No advantage for a heated garage ( no more rent).

samwei

Registered
QUOTE (nepoez @ Aug 9 2008, 10:26 AM)
Hi all,

I'm mostly concentrating in town houses in Edmonton. I see quite a few nice units at good prices now but many have wood burning fire place. I've been told be a PM that fire place scares him so I've been staying away from those.

What are your opinions on renting out units with fire places?

Thanks,

Nepoez

hi,

see this thread also. http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only/Property/84-4551-Wood_burning_fireplace_in_suite.html

sam

Top Bottom