Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wood-burning or gas fireplace

Nicola

Registered
It looks like we may have to replace a fireplace in a townhouse in Edmonton (required by the condo board). Right now it is a wood-burning fireplace.

Assuming the cost is more-or-less the same, would you choose a gas fireplace or wood-burning one? (Assuming you have tenants, not owner-occupied.) Why?

(The condo board has `recommended` that they be replaced with gas fireplaces.)

Thanks,
Nicola

PS. It seems you can get a `gas insert` rather than necessarily replacing the whole fireplace (though actually the cost is not much different). Is this a good idea?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
We replaced our own wood-burning fireplace with gas. My husband was dead-set on wood, but I convinced him on gas and he`s glad I did.

Benefits of gas:
- instant on so easier to enjoy (more benefit to tenants)
- no ashes to deal with
- which also means no maintenance (at least none for your tenants)

But what has really sold both of us on gas is that we are able to run the fireplace for a half hour or so to "take the edge off" and then just shut it off. We would never light a wood fireplace with the intention of only letting it burn for an hour.

Please keep in mind that this is based on a higher end fireplace. Ours is energy efficient and looks fantastic. I would not know which model to recommend for a rental.

Regards,
Sherilynn

bizaro86

Registered
One team member you should ask about this is your insurance broker. Will one type of fireplace be cheaper than another? IIRC the insurance on my personal residence went down slightly when I switched out my wood burning fireplace to gas.

As the previous poster mentioned, unless its dramatically more expensive, I`d go with the gas fireplace, not the wood burning. They`re considerably more popular as you don`t have the hassle of building a fire yourself, you just hit a button. I would also ask your realtor which adds more value on resale in your particular neighbourhood.

Michael

koop

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 1 2010, 11:39 AM) I personally prefer and use wood
For a rental there`s no question - Gas

I second this, I`m putting a wood fireplace into the new house I want to build. But in a rental, its gas all the way. Everything in a rental should be low maintaince.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
It has been my experience that wood fireplaces cause more grief, from additional mess to increased insurance costs. Gas is the way to go.

koop

Registered
Is an electric insert an option? I would even look at those before gas for a rental.

Nicola

Registered
Thanks everyone for your comments - it sounds like gas is the way to go!

The electric insert is an interesting (and much cheaper) option, though I`m not sure the condo board would go for this. Has anyone done this? How would a tenant react?

Thanks,
Nicola

PropertySolution

Registered
I actually have an electric fireplace for my own home for no other reason than I am afraid of fires almost to a fault. lol But I must admit they are not near as nice as the actual wood burning or gas one. But If I was putting one into a rental unit it would be gas hands down.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (Nicola @ Jun 2 2010, 05:49 PM) Thanks everyone for your comments - it sounds like gas is the way to go!

The electric insert is an interesting (and much cheaper) option, though I`m not sure the condo board would go for this. Has anyone done this? How would a tenant react?

Thanks,
Nicola

If I was on your condo board, I would be more concerned about electric than gas, because of the potential for overloading electrical that wasn`t designed such use. You may need to install a new circuit of your main circuit breaker, depending on what you go with.

On the other hand, if I was on your condo board, I`d let you brick over your fireplace if you didn`t want a fireplace any more. I actually think that`s a bit ridiculous, making you have one. If the old one is unsafe you need to remove it, but I don`t see why you`d necessarily NEED to replace it.

So obviously my views aren`t representative of your condo board, but I`d do a bit of research before you decide to buy an electric.

Michael

PropertySolution

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Jun 3 2010, 08:29 AM) If I was on your condo board, I would be more concerned about electric than gas, because of the potential for overloading electrical that wasn`t designed such use. You may need to install a new circuit of your main circuit breaker, depending on what you go with.

Michael

Holy Cow, what size of electric fireplace have you seen? LOL I use one and its no more a drain on your breaker than a lamp and fan running at the same time. And the heating element is smaller than a typical baseboard heater.

Top Bottom