Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

yellow letter campaign results

antaynguy

REIN Member
Hi everyone,

I am starting this thread to see if anyone would like to share their results from their yellow letter campaign.

My first yellow letter campaign sent on Monday Oct 26, 2009:

500 - names from list brokers

50 - expired list

Results: 20% call back with 0% prospect as of Thursday Oct 29, 2009.

Antay

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (antay @ Oct 29 2009, 09:23 PM) Hi everyone,

I am starting this thread to see if anyone would like to share their results from their yellow letter campaign.

My first yellow letter campaign sent on Monday Oct 26, 2009:

500 - names from list brokers

50 - expired list

Results: 20% call back with 0% prospect as of Thursday Oct 29, 2009.

Antay

Hi Antay,

Did you use PatLive?

Can you share some more information on the types of properties/sellers that are most typical in the call backs and some of the possible prospects.

Thanks,

Todor

antaynguy

REIN Member
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Nov 2 2009, 08:34 AM) Hi Antay,

Did you use PatLive?

Can you share some more information on the types of properties/sellers that are most typical in the call backs and some of the possible prospects.

Thanks,

Todor
Hi Todor,

I use PatLive. I would recommend it if you plan to send yellow letters as you will get your phone ring off the the hook. However, the list I use are just name, address list which you get from brokers. Most call back indicating that their house are not for sale. Some call back really angry. Some call back wanting to talk to me personally but did not indicate whether they have a house forsale. Only a couple of people actually called and leave an address and requesting a call back. Some house are listed and told me to call their realtors. Some realtors called about their listed house. The yellow letter script for patlive is not useful with this kind of list as callers don`t seem to have any patient to leave any information at all.

So far, no prospect yet. I might abandon this list and tried other types of list.

Cheers!

Antay

RedlineBrett

Registered
I am very interested in seeing how all these direct mail campaigns pan out... With 100s of REIN members mailing out to the same people whoever needs to sell their house will most definitely have options!

JohnSoucie

REIN Member
As far as lists go. In Ron`s CD`s he often makes comments that sending to Zip codes is the least effective list you can use. I have also been listening to some of the archived Tuesday Q&A call in shows from GOFFN. At one point, replying to a caller who was getting poor yellow letter results, he even started chastising him mercilessly for only sending to Zip codes!
Unfortunatly that`s about all that we have up here with the Privacy laws it seems. I`m in Ontario and I`m starting to get the impression that with the Power Of Sale foreclosure system here, getting pre-forclosure lists is not going to happen either. It seems like 99% go from lender to MLS in order to get retails for them. Doesn`t leave us Ontarians with much. Lucky you out west!!

So I`m wondering about the results from the course. Did anyone notice if the responses were sorted/tracked based on if they came from the pre-forclosure list or the Postal Code list? (I believe they did both).

Getting a reliable ongoing
supply of expired listings(even if I have to sleuth the actual owner names) is the next nut to crack it seems.

John

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (JohnSoucie @ Nov 2 2009, 11:00 AM) As far as lists go. In Ron`s CD`s he often makes comments that sending to Zip codes is the least effective list you can use. I have also been listening to some of the archived Tuesday Q&A call in shows from GOFFN. At one point, replying to a caller who was getting poor yellow letter results, he even started chastising him mercilessly for only sending to Zip codes!
Unfortunatly that`s about all that we have up here with the Privacy laws it seems. I`m in Ontario and I`m starting to get the impression that with the Power Of Sale foreclosure system here, getting pre-forclosure lists is not going to happen either. It seems like 99% go from lender to MLS in order to get retails for them. Doesn`t leave us Ontarians with much. Lucky you out west!!

So I`m wondering about the results from the course. Did anyone notice if the responses were sorted/tracked based on if they came from the pre-forclosure list or the Postal Code list? (I believe they did both).

Getting a reliable ongoing
supply of expired listings(even if I have to sleuth the actual owner names) is the next nut to crack it seems.

John,
Keep in mind that an expired listing doesn`t give you a homeowner name, it only gives you an address. Unless you, or someone you employ, wants to try and cross reference the name with the address, they aren`t that incredibly helpful either. It also doesn`t mean that they haven`t listed with another realtor etc. I spoke with Nelson from the hotline and this is what he told me.

Ian
John

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 2 2009, 12:21 PM) I am very interested in seeing how all these direct mail campaigns pan out... With 100s of REIN members mailing out to the same people whoever needs to sell their house will most definitely have options!

Assuming we all mail to the same postal code and same 1000 houses?

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (antay @ Nov 2 2009, 10:43 AM) Hi Todor,

I use PatLive. I would recommend it if you plan to send yellow letters as you will get your phone ring off the the hook. However, the list I use are just name, address list which you get from brokers. Most call back indicating that their house are not for sale. Some call back really angry. Some call back wanting to talk to me personally but did not indicate whether they have a house forsale. Only a couple of people actually called and leave an address and requesting a call back. Some house are listed and told me to call their realtors. Some realtors called about their listed house. The yellow letter script for patlive is not useful with this kind of list as callers don`t seem to have any patient to leave any information at all.

So far, no prospect yet. I might abandon this list and tried other types of list.

Cheers!

Antay

Thanks for you replay!

I will be sending my letter to a postal code in Mississauga shortly and will update you on my progress.

I am sure we will crack this code and be able to do it here.

JohnSoucie

REIN Member
John,
Keep in mind that an expired listing doesn`t give you a homeowner name, it only gives you an address. Unless you, or someone you employ, wants to try and cross reference the name with the address, they aren`t that incredibly helpful either. It also doesn`t mean that they haven`t listed with another realtor etc. I spoke with Nelson from the hotline and this is what he told me.

Ian

Hi Ian;
Yes I was aware that the names aren`t supplied. That`s why I mentioned "even if I have to sleuth out the name". I have a contact for title searches at a wholesale price and a good friend is a private investigator(don`t know if either will be usefull here). I`m thinking the list is not going to be super long and extensive each week, so this should not deter me from spending time on each address and try and find the name. Google might supply it !?!

Who knows I might find that it`s tons of work.....but mailing to `postal codes only" seems a little lacking. I think we will need to bolster our lists a little .....if we can.

Also a quick question about the Hotline....what is the scope of what Nelson will do? Will he consult on deal details and coach you on your best deal approach/exit strategy? I`ve been following Tony Peters advice and trying to really learn this stuff before I get hold of leads I don`t quite know what to do with. But if Nelson can come up with specific thoughts and ideas on specifc deals......great!!!

John

JanBowler

Registered
Any more updates on yellow letter campaigns? In particular, are any of the responders calling you up personally (ie. finding your personal phone) like one previous post mentioned happening? On listening to "getting to the next level" CDs that RLG gave out after the event, he does indeed suggest postal code mail-out lists are not very successful if used alone. Could people post the % prospects so far from their mail-outs, as well as if they are only using postal code methods? And also could anyone doing the "masters" program care to comment too? Thank you!

cmattric

REIN Member
QUOTE (DavidB @ Nov 12 2009, 11:35 AM) Any more updates on yellow letter campaigns? In particular, are any of the responders calling you up personally (ie. finding your personal phone) like one previous post mentioned happening? On listening to "getting to the next level" CDs that RLG gave out after the event, he does indeed suggest postal code mail-out lists are not very successful if used alone. Could people post the % prospects so far from their mail-outs, as well as if they are only using postal code methods? And also could anyone doing the "masters" program care to comment too? Thank you!

So far I sent 1200 mails out. Response rate is around 13-18% No deals yet, but lots of experience. I don`t waste my time seeing eveyone`s house, just the potential ones. I got a hold of couple of free and clear houses.
First 200 letter I gave my cell phone, because my account wasn`t ready with Patlive,. God No, I will never do that again.
Then I gave a voicemail number. That was also not a good idea.
Now I am using patlive and somebody writes my mail for a waay cheaper price than yellowletter.com. I send her my list by email every monday and the same day she drops the previous week`s letters to post office get a receipt and scan it and send it back to me. Then I deposit her money and postage money to her account. As Ron says it`s in the Auto-pilot. Until I find a deal I will keep doing it.

Good luck everyone.

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (JohnSoucie @ Nov 2 2009, 02:14 PM) John,

Ian

Hi Ian;
Yes I was aware that the names aren`t supplied. That`s why I mentioned "even if I have to sleuth out the name". I have a contact for title searches at a wholesale price and a good friend is a private investigator(don`t know if either will be usefull here). I`m thinking the list is not going to be super long and extensive each week, so this should not deter me from spending time on each address and try and find the name. Google might supply it !?!

Who knows I might find that it`s tons of work.....but mailing to `postal codes only" seems a little lacking. I think we will need to bolster our lists a little .....if we can.

Also a quick question about the Hotline....what is the scope of what Nelson will do? Will he consult on deal details and coach you on your best deal approach/exit strategy? I`ve been following Tony Peters advice and trying to really learn this stuff before I get hold of leads I don`t quite know what to do with. But if Nelson can come up with specific thoughts and ideas on specifc deals......great!!!

John

Hi John
I spoke with Nelson only once. It appears that he will help with deals but you need to sign up first. There is no cost to doing this except you have to give him two credit card numbers. It`s free for the first 180 days (I believe) and then, if you don`t canel, you are billed for a monthly service( again I think it is $495.00) So, he encourages you to join but also states that you need to mark you calendar and call in two weeks before the 180 days is up to cancel.

Hope this helps.

Ian

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Do you mind sharing what kind of service does it for way less than yellowletter.com?

I`m very interested in that!

Zander

QUOTE (cmattric @ Nov 12 2009, 01:52 PM) So far I sent 1200 mails out. Response rate is around 13-18% No deals yet, but lots of experience. I don`t waste my time seeing eveyone`s house, just the potential ones. I got a hold of couple of free and clear houses.
First 200 letter I gave my cell phone, because my account wasn`t ready with Patlive,. God No, I will never do that again.
Then I gave a voicemail number. That was also not a good idea.
Now I am using patlive and somebody writes my mail for a waay cheaper price than yellowletter.com. I send her my list by email every monday and the same day she drops the previous week`s letters to post office get a receipt and scan it and send it back to me. Then I deposit her money and postage money to her account. As Ron says it`s in the Auto-pilot. Until I find a deal I will keep doing it.

Good luck everyone.

cmattric

REIN Member
Vey Simple, you post an add to Kijiji, and find someone to do it for you. I pay 50 cents per letter. So each letter costs me $1.04 including postage. And I found my help in two hours. During the advertisement I had so many applicants, I have even reserves if my help wants to quit. In fact she loves whats she is doing. It is perfect for a house wife.

Try advertising a job position. I am sure someone will call you. By the way, the applicant should live close to you, mention in your ad. So that he/she can bring the letters, if you don`t trust him`her at the beginning. Also you can give him/her to do some extra work like calling and filling out FSBOs.

Mehmet

QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Nov 12 2009, 04:50 PM) Do you mind sharing what kind of service does it for way less than yellowletter.com?

I`m very interested in that!

Zander

ZanderRobertson

Registered
So, they handwrite the letter, address it, stuff it, and stamp it for $0.50? and that includes the cost of the envelopes?

great idea! thanks!

QUOTE (cmattric @ Nov 12 2009, 06:33 PM) Vey Simple, you post an add to Kijiji, and find someone to do it for you. I pay 50 cents per letter. So each letter costs me $1.04 including postage. And I found my help in two hours. During the advertisement I had so many applicants, I have even reserves if my help wants to quit. In fact she loves whats she is doing. It is perfect for a house wife.

Try advertising a job position. I am sure someone will call you. By the way, the applicant should live close to you, mention in your ad. So that he/she can bring the letters, if you don`t trust him`her at the beginning. Also you can give him/her to do some extra work like calling and filling out FSBOs.

Mehmet

cmattric

REIN Member
I buy the envelopes from staples for 500 its 10 dollars online, buy 3 of them ship them directly to my help. Yellow sheet practically doesn`t cost anything. So 50cents plus postage for 54 cents. I would say it costs around 1.06. I guess 90 cents cheaper than other services. Besides it is faster, and you get to pay less, if you purchase 1000 letter from yellowletter.com you have to pay upfront. Pretty decent way

QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Nov 12 2009, 06:47 PM) So, they handwrite the letter, address it, stuff it, and stamp it for $0.50? and that includes the cost of the envelopes?

great idea! thanks!

ZanderRobertson

Registered
again I have fallen prey to "trying to think for someone else". I had a hard time believing anyone would even address an envelope for that price.

How do you quality control their product?

Thanks again,
Zander

QUOTE (cmattric @ Nov 12 2009, 07:00 PM) I buy the envelopes from staples for 500 its 10 dollars online, buy 3 of them ship them directly to my help. Yellow sheet practically doesn`t cost anything. So 50cents plus postage for 54 cents. I would say it costs around 1.06. I guess 90 cents cheaper than other services. Besides it is faster, and you get to pay less, if you purchase 1000 letter from yellowletter.com you have to pay upfront. Pretty decent way

cmattric

REIN Member
I can`t nor you can with others. It is with the respond rates and, sometimes returned mails. As long as I receive enough calls, its ok with me. The safest way could be to do it yourself, I did 100 letters, God no I wont be doing it again. Screen your employee well, the rest is trust, that is my product quality. Yes everything is hand addressed and written, from time to time wrong addresses returns back to me. And that `s another quality check. You would understand if something is fishy if you dont get anough responses. Or get to do it with someone you would know. $400 dollars is not bad for some people, with flexible schedule who wants extra income.

QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Nov 12 2009, 07:08 PM) again I have fallen prey to "trying to think for someone else". I had a hard time believing anyone would even address an envelope for that price.

How do you quality control their product?

Thanks again,
Zander

ZanderRobertson

Registered
True. Thanks for your insight. Also, I thought a simple way to quality control would be just to ask them not to seal the envelope, then do the drop yourself. You can grab a couple letters out of each 100 to make sure they`re all getting written.

Thanks again,
Zander

QUOTE (cmattric @ Nov 12 2009, 07:28 PM) I can`t nor you can with others. It is with the respond rates and, sometimes returned mails. As long as I receive enough calls, its ok with me. The safest way could be to do it yourself, I did 100 letters, God no I wont be doing it again. Screen your employee well, the rest is trust, that is my product quality. Yes everything is hand addressed and written, from time to time wrong addresses returns back to me. And that `s another quality check. You would understand if something is fishy if you dont get anough responses. Or get to do it with someone you would know. $400 dollars is not bad for some people, with flexible schedule who wants extra income.

marcp

Registered
Why would you seal any envelope? Ron Legrand himself said "don`t seal the envelopes, just fold the flap in." .

That`s what I did... and my response rate is 30%

Full Disclosure: I sent exactly THREE letters so far, and got one call back.. 30% !!

Top Bottom