Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN bookshelf

Savard

Registered
My recommendation is 1000 Barrels a Second by Peter Tertzakian who is the Chief Energy Economist of ARC Financial Corporation. Peter is a Calgary resident and a graduate of the University of Alberta.

This book is a must read to gain a further understanding of the history and economics of energy. It is also a great tool to help understand Alberta`s strong position as an energy supplier.
My uncle in the Philippines gave it to the new energy minister who than made it required reading for the energy ministry.
http://www.1000barrels.com/index.html

Dahlia

Registered
Hi everyone,
One of the book I enjoy is call The 7 Habits of Hightly Effective People
by Stephen Covey.

QUOTE Author Stephen R. Covey presents a holistic, integrated, principle-centered approach for solving personal and professional problems. With penetrating insights and pointed anecdotes, Covey reveals a step-by-step pathway for living with fairness, integrity, service, and human dignity-principles that give us the security to adapt to change and the wisdom and power to take advantage of the opportunities that change creates.

Helen

Registered
Hello,

I would also be very interested to see a list of Don`s recommended books posted here.

Does anyone have the author and title of the two books Don recommened at the December 2007 Toronto REIN meeting during Philip McKernan`s presentation on "The Pursuit of Wealth and Happiness Through Real Estate"?

Helen

HeatherBrandt

Registered
QUOTE (Savard @ Mar 16 2008, 10:02 AM)
My recommendation is 1000 Barrels a Second by Peter Tertzakian who is the Chief Energy Economist of ARC Financial Corporation. Peter is a Calgary resident and a graduate of the University of Alberta.

This book is a must read to gain a further understanding of the history and economics of energy. It is also a great tool to help understand Alberta's strong position as an energy supplier.

My uncle in the Philippines gave it to the new energy minister who than made it required reading for the energy ministry.

http://www.1000barrels.com/index.html

I decided to read this book on Savard's recommendation and it is really informative. You might think you know how big oil is to Alberta, but the book will increase that belief by 100 fold. It also talks about other energy sources, how hard it will be transplant oil as a top energy source, and will make you think about your own energy consumption patterns (in a non-preachy, referenced based manner).

While it takes a bit of effort to get through it, I highly recommend it!

Heather Brandt

gcarrow

Registered
For anyone jsut starting out, like me! This book is a no-nonsense guide to getting going with anything you need to start, like a real estate investment business. It`s written by a venture capitalist who has seen alot of start-ups and the writing is great:

"The Art of the Start" by Guy Kawasaki.

Also, "The 7 habits of Highly Effective People" by Covey. Great reference.

Geoff

mark186

Registered
I`d like to recommend a book about... baseball. It is called "Moneyball" and it is by Micheal Lewis. Why is this a worthwhile read? Because you will learn lessons about business and thinking differently that I have not seen elsewhere.

The author started researching for a book about the economic disparity between major league baseball teams (largely due to the size of the market the team was located in) but quickly realized there was an anomoly to the general perception that larger, well financed teams performed better that their small market cousins. This exception to the rule is the Oakland Athletics. The book came out a few years ago, but at the time Oakland had won more regular season games in the last three years than any other team except the New York Yankees that had won only a handfull more games. However, New York`s player payroll was more than four times that of the Athletics whose payroll ranked around 26th out of 30 teams. Since the book has come out the Athletics have continued to do well with a team of unknowns. How has this happened? Lewis writes about the general manager of the team, a colourful fellow named Billy Beane, and a unique way of looking at statistics that he came across and refined. In addition to this, Beane is very creative at trading and scouting, two often overlooked areas of professional sports.

So what does this have to do with investing in real estate? Nothing specifically, but by reading this book you will understand the value of looking at things differently. We all say this is a good idea and we like to think that we do it, but this book shows an extreme example of a situation where the underdog comes out on top strictly by relying on things that others (usually with alot more money) overlook. Isn`t that what we are trying to do?

If you don`t like baseball, don`t worry - it is written in a light, breezy style and should be enjoyable for even a non-fan. If you do read it let me know what you think.

gottatango

Registered
Hi There,

A good friend and Diamond Member David Matichuk recommended this book to me and it is just amazing.

Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

Happy Reading,
Adrian

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
After many many requests, I have begun to compile a detailed list of books that have had an impact on my life... in business, life and real estate.

The first bunch have been posted at my blog http://reinteam.blogspot.com

This first group covers many different genres of books, each and every one has made a big difference.

Please feel free to head on over there. I trust you`ll enjoy having them on your shelf as much as I have mine.

Here`s the link to Don R. Campbell`s Blog What`s Behind The Curtain.

Please add your favorite reads to this myREINspace.com conversation I look forward to reading your favorites.

While you`re at my Blog, make sure you check out the archives, and check back regularly for updates.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
The list continues to grow (and now made easier to read and connect to the Amazon version of the books.

Here is the link to my list Don Campbell`s Recommended Reading List

Looking forward to hearing the books that impacted your life.

Also, please remember to focus on the Economic Fundamentals so you can choose your region for action.

Jack

Registered
A lot of my recommended books have already been mentioned (Napoleon Hill, Rich Dad Series, 40-Hour Workweek, etc.), so I`ll just add a few of my personal favourites for fun:[*]Up Your Bracket, Dr. H. Frederick Vogt. Just a feel-good, motivational philosophy book that`s quite an easy read, and actually written by a Canadian author. A little on the religious side, but he takes a light-hearted approach the whole way and it`s just an excellent read. http://www.amazon.com/Up-your-bracket-Fred...3436&sr=8-1

[*]Creative Mind
, Ernest S. Holmes. Much more difficult a read, but once understood, there`s no more convincing piece of literature on the power/creative nature of our thoughts/beliefs that I`ve come across. Published in 1919. http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Mind-Ernest...3505&sr=1-1

• Ask, And You Shall Receive
  • , Pierre Morency. Very
  • light-hearted philosophy book by yet another Canadian, again related to the creative nature of our minds & thoughts. I bought this book the night before a vacation to Puerto Vallarta in very early 2007 and I honestly must`ve read it cover-to-cover at least 5 times throughout the whole 7-day stay while on the beach. Simple read, but effective and fun

GarthChapman

Registered
The Trillion Dollar Meltdown, by Charles R. Morris is a new release that does an excellent job of explaining the implosion of the US financial system. The sub-prime mortgage market woes are but one of several financial instruments that have been carved into complex instruments, disguised and sold around the world as securities.

mvanlaar

REIN Member
Hello,Voyage to Destiny is a great book that uses the sailing metaphor to help people understand techniques for setting goals and achieving results and improving all aspects of their lives. The author (Kieran Harrop) spent seven years sailing from Victoria, British Columbia to the Caribbean and developed a wonderful view on life. He is an inspiration!

www.voyagetodestiny.com

Sincerely,

Maurice Van Laar

JerryCharlton

Remax Realty Professionals - Calgary
REIN Member
Hypnotic Writing by Joe Vitale

If you`ve ever wondered why some books are so hard to put down and some ads stop you scanning

- it`s all in the writing

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell is a compelling read.

It is about people who ly outside the norms of success and how they got there - from computer moguls, to musicians to academics. While you learn about these exceptional people, you will also look at your own life and opportunities in a new way.

Enjoy!

GarthChapman

Registered
Fifteen Days
Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army
Written by Christie Blatchford

A gripping book - 15 stories from Afghanistan of herosim and sacrifice, death and mourning, joy and exhilaration - and why they are still there and want to finish what they have given so much of themselves to. If you don`t believe Canada should be there you owe it to yourself to read this book. Not to glorify this or any war, but to understand what it is they are there doing and why they are willing to give so much.

What came to me after reading this is that Canadians fight wars like we play hockey; to win, always, no matter the price we give it our all, and play with honour. Interesting also to learn that even now, just as in WWI and WWII, when there is an especially tough battle to fight it is the Canadians who are sent in to get it done.

Top Bottom