Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN bookshelf

GarthChapman

Registered
Not a book but a brilliant short bit of British satire that explains the US mortgage market disaster
About a year ago, two British comedians staged an “interview” explaining, in their terms, what the subprime crisis was all about. Whether by astute insight or dumb luck - they very aptly articulated an extremely complicated process in very simple terms

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x684wa_th...rr-subprime_fun

CarlaJohnson

Registered
At the December Toronto REIN meeting we heard Bilaal Rajan, UNICEF Canada Child Representative & 12-year-old wunderkind. His book is written to inspire other kids, but this adult has been blown away. Bilaal`s parents, Aman & Shamim Rajan, are REIN members.

Making Change: Tips from an Underage Overachiever

From the back cover:

Bilaal Rajan started fundraising at the age of four, when he sold clementines to raise money for the victims of an earthquake in India. Since then he has raised funds for children in Southeast Asia, Haiti and Africa.

Bravo Bilaal!

ZanderRobertson

Registered
For anyone who likes biographies:

Andrew Carnegie by David Nasaw

and if it hasn`t been mentioned already Snowball by Alice Schoeder (Warren Buffett biography)

The interesting thing about reading them in succession is you see where Mr.Buffett learned his "gospel if wealth"

jarrettvaughan

Registered

DanBarton

Registered
Just discovered & finished very quickly - Highly Recommended:
Marriane Williamson - A Return to Love

Quoted:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won`t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It`s not just in some of us; it`s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060927488/qid=1110256933/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/%22%20target=%22_blank

dannielsen

Registered
I always to fit some humor in my day. And there is no funnier cartoon to read than Calvin and Hobbs. A recommend buying one of his many books and reading a few short pages when ever you need a good laugh or after a tough day. Make me laugh every time.

Dan Nielsen

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (dannielsen @ Jan 22 2009, 04:07 PM) I always to fit some humor in my day. And there is no funnier cartoon to read than Calvin and Hobbs. A recommend buying one of his many books and reading a few short pages when ever you need a good laugh or after a tough day. Make me laugh every time.

[/size]

Dan Nielsen

Oh my god, he has the best snowmen ever!

Have a good one!

JohnS

AndyLuchies

Registered
Excellent book list so far! I will be adding some of these to my list!
Onethat was missed that I was blown away by was Robert Kiyosaki`s "Rich Dad`s Prophecy
." Written in 2006, he "prophesies" of the stock market plunge that just happened last year and claims its only going to get worse... very interesting read and quite affirming of RE investing-- a must read.

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (DanBarton @ Jan 10 2009, 04:38 PM)
Just discovered & finished very quickly - Highly Recommended:

Marriane Williamson - A Return to Love

Quoted:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

This was written by Nelson Mandela

CarlaJohnson

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 23 2009, 01:24 PM) This was written by Nelson Mandela
Sorry Garth. I`m a big Marianne Williamson fan. It is her quote. Some say Mandela quoted it in a speech, but it is not his.

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jan 6 2009, 09:31 PM)
Fifteen Days

What came to me after reading this is that Canadians fight wars like we play hockey; to win, always, no matter the price we give it our all, and play with honour. Interesting also to learn that even now, just as in WWI and WWII, when there is an especially tough battle to fight it is the Canadians who are sent in to get it done.

Garth, well said !!

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Who is Your City? Canadian Edition by Richard Florida

This is an interesting review of world economies, and characteristics, and describing why and how some regions become more economically powerful than others; how some regions become "one industry heavy", such as Alberta, or Hollywood. It goes into why it is better to live and work in larger communities than smaller ones.

Easy to read, he gives some basic background understanding to many of the REIN fundamentals. His ideas are easy to understand, and accept.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Quentin, thank you for the great plug!Here`s book from REIN member Darcelle Runciman.

"The Power of Women United"

Darcelle and 21 other women contributed their stories to this wonderful compillation. Darcelle`s wrote chapter 5 "Baby Steps to Personal Power and Success."

"I know for sure it is possible for everyone to achieve what they want in life. It requires getting out of your own head and changing the way you think."
- Darcelle Runciman

Beautiful!

jarrettvaughan

Registered
The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market is Down

By Peter Schiff

He is always interesting and always has a very strong opinion. He follows the Austrian School of Economics and has been pretty accurate in his predictions in the past few years.

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (qdsouza @ Apr 24 2009, 10:58 AM) Added a great new book to my REIN book shelf:

Magnetic Real Estate Photography by Carla Johnson

Take Care,

Quentin

I bought Carla`s book at the ACRE weekend and I think I read it the same night. My hobby is photography and I have been doing it for years and read many books on the subject. Carla`s book summarizes all that you need to know to take great real estate photos. It`s an easy read with plenty of examples.
It`s a must have for all of you who will rent, buy, sell or will have anything to do with real estate.
Great work Carla. I picked up some great tips.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ May 9 2009, 11:20 AM) I bought Carla`s book at the ACRE weekend and I think I read it the same night. My hobby is photography and I have been doing it for years and read many books on the subject. Carla`s book summarizes all that you need to know to take great real estate photos. It`s an easy read with plenty of examples.
It`s a must have for all of you who will rent, buy, sell or will have anything to do with real estate.
Great work Carla. I picked up some great tips.

Ya but does it show me how to work my digital camera??

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Thank you so much Todor! Your feedback means a LOT to me.
Ed, there`s a camera called the point & shoot
. Here are the instructions:
1. Point
2. Shoot.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom