Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Advise sought for a possible JV with the builder of my duplex

Colin Forrest

Investing with Integrity
Registered
Hi all,
I was very lucky to find a wonderful vacant and sub-divided plot of land in the highly desirable East End of Barrie, Ontario. I am preparing to build a high end duplex on each of these plots. Now that my architectural designs are complete, I have sent the drawing out to 3 interested builders for pricing based on a project management scenario. One of the builders is a bit reluctant to give me specific numbers until I have committed to build with them. I told him that I would need accurate numbers before I could possible decided. More importantly however, I had a very interesting discussion a few days ago with one of the other builders (my guts first choice) and the subject of entering a JV for the build came up. Both sides are interested in the idea; but frankly, I am not sure how this would work. Any ideas or advice on what I need to consider would be most appreciated.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi Collin,
I will email you some ideas and thoughts that I have.
Chat soon.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Can you qualify for mortgage and do you have the cash ?

A JV might work for resale but it is less profitable for you if you have the cash and can get a 3% mortgage. JVs are always more expensive than borrowing sub 5%. ALWAYS.

Last edited:

Caleb West

Multi Family Commercial|Collaborative Office|
Registered
As a builder having a specification for all things will allow us to price quickly and accurately. We generally use a base price of $180/sq and find that works well for plans, permits, project management. If you'd like I could look over things and give you some insights from Alberta

[email protected]

Colin Forrest

Investing with Integrity
Registered
Thank you all for your feedback. Problem solved as we now have the necessary funds, as well as a fantastic builder to manage the project.

jay1214u

New Forum Member
Registered
@ colinaforrest
Which builder did you choose and why? Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom