Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alberta climate change announcement

LAndersen

Registered
What are your thoughts in regards to today's announcement regarding climate change and carbon taxes? Where is the opportunity? Why would the oil patch be in favour?

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
This is BAD for Alberta landlords:

"But it will also require Albertans to pay 4.7-cents more per litre of gas at the pumps in 2017, and 5.5 cents more per litre of diesel, plus an extra $320 to heat their homes in 2017, rising to $470 by 2018"

Source: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/new-alberta-climate-change-plan-includes-carbon-tax-for-individual-albertans-cap-on-oilsands-emissions?utm_source=MasterMaq%27s+Blog+by+Email&utm_campaign=bfc092592c-RSS_EMAIL_SUBSCRIBERS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3f9fc72978-bfc092592c-264422785

Heat in the winter is not an option or a luxury consumption good. It is part of the reality of being an Albertan.

A big part of the problem is Notley's delusion of government helping the economy: “The simple fact is this: Alberta can’t let its emissions grow without limit,” Notley said. “But we can grow our economy by applying technology to reduce our carbon output per barrel. And that is what this limit will promote.”

This is bad, bad. It lowers disposable income and the appeal of Alberta for new in-migration during a time of deflating wages and disappearing full time jobs. Imposing a $400 tax on families in a recession is not smart politics. The announcement officially came out on Sunday at noon so it will be interesting to gauge business reaction (although the NDP email mailing list announced it on Friday).

LAndersen

Registered
I agree. I don't think people realize the damage this will do to our economy. It will hurt those with limited incomes and our seniors will feel this as well.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ Yes, exactly. At this point it sounds like the NDP will redistribute some of the $3 billion proceeds to lower income families and seniors to subsidize higher energy costs. This is a bit questionable as they have allocated $0 provincial budget to affordable housing. It would look like costs are increasing for less efficient housing and these inefficiencies will be government funded.

Articles: http://alberta.ca/climate/

Notley's claim is that we are not imposing a cap on production but rather a cap on pollution. Which I think is a great ideal. And it probably works really well if you say it fast. This is a huge blow to our economy and will curtail much more investment from oil sands.

LAndersen

Registered
Any idea why we say the heads of Suncor, CNRL, Cenovus and Shell all standing beside her at the announcement? Is this some sort of you scratch my back, I scratch yours in terms of royalties? I can't understand this at all. Next REIN meeting should be good.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
I was wondering the same thing. I don't know. A large part of the tax is consumer levy. If this is passed, pollution is paid on a per-output basis, (rather than on a cap and trade basis) which directly hurts producers. The report is a bit thin on details overall. It's hard to figure out what the actual economics look like at this point.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Hiking the price of natural gas for heating is ridiculous. Tenants pay the cost of heating the properties we own, either directly or in the form of higher rent. And most tenants are not high income earners.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Better than a PST but Canada's "climate" change polices will make ZERO difference in the worldwide climate !

It is just another tax grab disguised as a policy to save " the environment "

Where is the nuclear power plant announcement ?

Ok if other countries or provinces follow with similar measures, but will they ? Or will we just hollow out our competitiveness ? Cheap energy is vital !

Excellent that all pay including users not just producers ! Will Ontario car drivers like it ?

Did you know that Alberta already had the highest installed wind capacity per capita in Canada and the second highest overall after Quebec ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom