Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calgary Secondary Suite Update - Why you should act NOW!

sbh

REIN Member
So the always changing Calgary Secondary Suite item has taken a change for the positive but you have to act fast because future changes coming will make things a lot harder. Last week after a marathon public hearing for the Paskapoo Slopes Council members finally made it to an agenda item that cuts a lot of red tape in the world of secondary suites. Council voted unanimously to support a by-law that will make it a lot easier to legalize a secondary suite. This bylaw deserves an award for cutting an insane amount of red tape. It takes a process that would take us 6-8 weeks down to 1-3 days! Here are the details.
- If you want to install a secondary suite or legalize a secondary suite in a permitted use zone with no relaxations then you no longer require a development permit (DP) just a building permit (BP).
- If your suite exists prior to 2007 then you only have to meet fire code and not building code. This is a substantial savings and to be honest, if your suite does not currently meet fire code then you are putting yourself at a huge risk of being fined or sued. (Go here now and see if you meet code - https://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Fire/Documents/fpb_inspection_checklist_2nd_suites.pdf?noredirect=1)
- This program is a pilot and is only schedules to last 18 months at which point they will re-evaluate the program and could potentially take it away
- You can still legalize secondary suites in discretionary use areas or permitted use areas with relaxations but require a development permit
(see definitions below)

Why you should act NOW?
Another major change is scheduled to come to Calgary soon which will make it much more expensive to legalize a suite. That change is the replacement of the Alberta Building code with the more stringent National building code. I am still working with the city to find out the exact details on this but from my experience renovating in Ontario I know that it makes things a lot more difficult and expensive to legalize a duplex. The old code attempted to balance affordability with safety. The new Code does not. It treats a secondary suite more like a duplex, which is something that can be subdivided – a suite can’t be. A secondary suite is a purpose built rental unit which is also transitional space within a home.

It is disappointing, but if you act now you can get a BP in prior to the changes and not have to meet the new code. If you own an illegal suite I STRONGLY SUGGEST you look into legalizing your suite now.

I am always available to answer questions from my fellow REIN members. Please email me @ [email protected]

Some helpful links and definitions.

Everything Secondary Suites can be found here - http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...econdary-Suite.aspx?redirect=/secondarysuites

A Permitted Use – means a use of land or a building that is listed as such use in a land use district or a Direct Control District Bylaw. For example, a secondary suite is a permitted use of a RC-2 zoned property

A Discretionary Use - A use of land or a building that is listed as such use in a land use district or a Direct Control District Bylaw. For example, RC-1N is a discretionary use. If you want to put in a secondary suite a development permit will take longer and your neighbours and community association are given an opportunity to dispute your suite at the Subdivision Development Appeal Board (SDAB).

Relaxations - A term used by the city if aspects of your application do not meet current regulations but are allowed or "relaxed." For example, your lot width on a permitted use zone is only 8m and 9m is required for a secondary suite. A relaxation can be granted or your development can be denied but you can appeal the decision at the SDAB.

Approved Land Use District in Calgary for Secondary Suites (Some permitted some discretionary):
R-C1Ls, R-C1s, RC1N, R-C2, R-1s, R-1N, R-2, R2M, R-CG, M-CG, M-C1, M-C2, M-H1, M-H2, M-H3, M-X1, M-X

More info on land uses - http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...1P2007/Land-Use-Bylaw-Land-Use-Districts.aspx

IP2007 Interactive (The land use bylaw) - http://lub.calgary.ca/

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Well done. It's great to see actual professionals in this business and not the typical hyper get-rich-quick mentality.

I've long been saying go legal suite as it is only going to get more difficult. If you are a long term investor you will ultimately need to go legal. Long term is not 5 years...it's 10, 15... Be wary of investors claiming a 5-year hold is long term. I've bought houses from these investors and they turned great properties into dogs due to all the deferred maintenance.

Meeting the fire code minimum is a human life issue, this shouldn't need to be enforced by a municipality. Be professionals and don't rent out your basement if someone would die in a fire. $100 a month is not worth that kind of risk.

Long term investing means planning for the downside cycle which is happening right now. If you have a poorly developed suite in times like this, you will have high vacancy and low rents and a lower tenant profile. This means that your main floor unit will also attract a less desirable tenant. The better your product, the better your customer. Don't believe anyone who tells you there are short-cuts or ways to trick renters into seeing value. Build good properties.

This is a great step in the right direction for Calgary. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom