Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Canadians Snap Up U.S. Properties

Rickson9

Registered
Congratulations to those who purchased rentals in Phoenix at the start of this thread, especially now that $US=$1.34CAN, real estate prices have quadrupled and rent has risen 70+% compared to 2009

As we come to the close of 2018, I would like to revisit some of the comedian clowns of that era:

Imagine their shock when they start to do the homework (after the fact).

I hope it all turns out well for them, but the facts often don`t lie.

LOL! “facts”

If it`s 20:1 in the US, it`s only 5:1 here with big problems. The tax systems and immigration laws which prevent you from doing any work on your property are just two big reasons why there`s a lot of landmines down there.

LOL! “big problems”

I have a number of friends who are investing in US property, whether it be for recreational purchases or as investments and the ones who have purchased properties as an investment are not very happy with their decision. It's just not an investment if you are seeking long-term sustainable wealth. Going back to the fundamentals of real estate investment- location is key (and when you are investing in the US, your going to be looking for safe areas, or green zones where you are safe from crime) but not only that, the economy is distressed. How are you going to see positive cash-flows from your income property and cover overhead expenses if there is low output, GDP, employment growth etc. etc. etc.? Not to mention, IF obamacare is passed, I can guarantee you that you will see huge spending cuts in all other industries... how do you expect the economy to function when all government spending will be going towards healthcare?

ROFL!! “unhappy ‘friends’”

So Long, New York and L.A.! Here Are the Cities Luring (and Losing) the Most Americans

#1. Phoenix, AZ

The Phoenix region has become a top destination for folks fleeing high-cost West Cost cities.

Phoenix has long been known for its huge retirement communities like Sun City, a 55-plus active community built in the 1960s with golf courses and one-story homes with gated back yards.

But new residents aren't just retirees and snowbirds. The region's strong local economy is seeing a number of employers relocate to the area and bring a younger workforce with them. These workers are buying reasonably priced condos within walking distance to light rail.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/cities-seeing-folks-moving-in-and-out/

PS: Has anyone found “wealthy” boomer yet? I hope he found a cure for his dementia LOL!

Last edited:

Rickson9

Registered
For every $5 in oil price increase Can$ will move up a cent or so ( and vice versa ). So when a barrel of oil is US$150 we will see parity again. This means, in the short term, say next 2-4 years Can $ will decline, maybe to 85 cents, then potentially rise as oil price rises again. Might be 2025 or later. TBD.

4 years have passed since this post. I guess we can revisit this in 2025 (since oil is in the gutter) unless you want to kick the can another 10 years. 2035?

bb2

Registered
For every $5 in oil price increase Can$ will move up a cent or so ( and vice versa ). So when a barrel of oil is US$150 we will see parity again. This means, in the short term, say next 2-4 years Can $ will decline, maybe to 85 cents, then potentially rise as oil price rises again. Might be 2025 or later. TBD.

4 years have passed since this post. I guess we can revisit this in 2025 (since oil is in the gutter) unless you want to kick the can another 10 years. 2035?

Somewhat condescending Rickson 9. I guess you are feeling like a genius now!

Sent from my iPad using myREINspace

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Many US markets have done better than Alberta since 2014.

The question is, is now, late 2018, a better time still to enter some US markets at 75 cents with prices substantially higher than 2010 or 2014?

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Rickson9

Registered
Somewhat condescending Rickson 9. I guess you are feeling like a genius now!

Only responding to posters in the thread who were able and willing to dish it out. Wondering if they can also take it

Did you find the posters in my thread to be condescending also?

Also, with regards to "feeling like a genius", I can personally tell you that intelligence isn't important when it comes success when investing in real estate

lol

Last edited:

Rickson9

Registered
Many US markets have done better than Alberta since 2014.

The question is, is now, late 2018, a better time still to enter some US markets at 75 cents with prices substantially higher than 2010 or 2014?

Good question!

How would you compare investing in Phoenix vs Calgary today Thomas?

That’s what I thought ;)

Last edited:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Phoenix now topped ? Or Dallas ? Prices still reasonable or getting stupid ?

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Rickson9

Registered
Arizona ranks 4th in the nation for GDP growth

According to data released today by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Arizona’s real gross domestic product (GDP) increased by four percent in 2018, the fourth fastest growth rate in the nation. Arizona’s GDP growth outpaced that of 46 other states including California (3.5%), Florida (3.5%), and Texas (3.2%).

https://azbigmedia.com/arizona-ranks-4th-in-the-nation-for-gdp-growth/

Rickson9

Registered
Where does Phoenix rank for lease renewal rent growth?

At the top of the list are No. 1 Las Vegas — with 6.4% renewal rent growth — and No. 2 Phoenix — only slightly behind with 6.3% renewal rent growth. The fact that these two markets are seeing the highest renewal rent growth isn’t necessarily surprisingly, as they also lead for new-lease rent growth.

https://azbigmedia.com/where-does-phoenix-rank-for-lease-renewal-rent-growth/

Las Vegas and Phoenix Lead U.S. Apartment Rent Growth

Among the nation’s large metropolitan areas, Las Vegas and Phoenix now are the apartment rent growth leaders. Effective rents for new leases climbed 7.4% in each area during 2018.

https://www.realpage.com/analytics/las-vegas-phoenix-lead-apartment-rent-growth/

Top Bottom