Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Choosing a Flooring Type

Tyler - Picket Fence Properties

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Just looking for some feedback on flooring material/brands other investors are using for their rentals.

We have used a high quality laminate in our previous properties and are considering using vinyl planks in our next one. What has the experience been for those that have used vinyl and what brands have you used? We are looking at Rona's UberHaus due to the current sale they have on now.

Thanks,

Tyler

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Vinyl is ok for lower end properties or basements but not main floor or medium to higher end homes

Tyler - Picket Fence Properties

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Can you elaborate a bit on why only for lower end? The new vinyl plank flooring looks the exact same as laminate and lays the same way (interlocking). It's a bit more expensive because it's waterproof which I feel is beneficial in the event the tenant has pets.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
LVT (luxury vinyl tile) is a great product and is used in 75% of purpose-built rentals that I have seen. Looks great and a lot of tenants don't know the difference between that and laminate. Some LVT look just like hardwood and have creases in it. Ceramic-tile looking LVT is pretty good for a lot of uses too. Sometimes you see lino.

Laminate is used a lot less frequently because it is hard to patch anything in the middle.

Rugs are generally perceived as unhygienic today.

James Benson

James
REIN Member
Luxury vinyl plank is superior in performance and can look like wood, tile or whatever you want really. I use karndean brand usually. Laminate does have a better feel to it though.
LVP is the most pet friendly flooring product out there, and scratches can be removed with a hot iron on a cloth (as a side note, you can also remove coffee cup rings from your coffee table this way )

In choosing your flooring type, consider the tenant profile you are going to be renting too. Laminate is typically cheaper, and less durable (although it is really durable, as long as you get it with bevels edges). So it would be better suited to people with no pets and maybe no young children, since there toys can scratch it up pretty good. However considering the way REIN members screen tenants, laminate is probably going to be the best bang for your buck the majority of the time.

Replacing boards in the middle of the floor is possible with both products, and it's a pain regardless of what you choose.
(I am a carpenter, and I have done repairs on all kinds of floors)

Thomas is right in regards to the above comment, wood feels and looks like wood, plastic feels and looks like plastic no matter how high end the plastic is. So if you are renting to high end tenants then LVP is unlikely to be a good choice. For middle class tenants with pets though, in my humble opinion it can't be beat.

DanW

Registered
I know you already got your answer, but I will add this. I use the allure and the traffic master brand sold at Home Depot. Both click and the overlapping stick variety. My contractor prefers the click for easy install as well it doesn't create gaps like the other. I use this for all new applications of flooring in my student rentals. They take a beating and once you mop them they look great again. Laminate gets destroyed by liquid so this is the only way to go for me. Another suggestion is that I use very light flooring because the flooring does scratch. The light flooring won't show the scratches. All of my houses are are for students that come from nice family homes and so they don't like cheap things. They love the flooring.

trevismcconaghy

Trevis McConaghy, REIA
REIN Member
I have renovated tons of units, and I agree that the type of flooring used depends on the type of tenant and the type of unit. I have used the Uberhaus (home brand at Rona) of vinyl plank with great success. It works well in basements. I also use it in entryways and kitchens. It is a good alternative in areas where it is difficult to work with lino, or areas that that more wear. I also use rubber base cove (floor trim) in some of these areas as wood of MDF trim takes up water near entryways, bathrooms.
One thing to note with vinyl plank is that some of it can contract or expand under sunlight so you need to be careful which products you are using.
I love this flooring and it wears incredibly well, vs wood type laminate and looks great. It may cost more but saves alot of headache down the road in high wearing or 'wet' areas.

Top Bottom