Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Edmonton community mailboxes and legal suites - right to separate key?

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
On Friday, my tenant received notice that door-to-door mail service is being converted to community mailboxes. (Background information on Canada Post: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/aboutus/5_en.pdf).

Although the property is developed with a legal suite, we received only one key. I phoned up Canada Post today and they are fairly confident I can be issued a separate key and mail box.

Has anyone in Edmonton had success in obtaining a separate key for a legal suite? I am hoping it is straightforward but looking for anyone who has been there for some advice.

Thanks

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
It has taken 2 weeks but Canada Post confirmed today that my basement suite tenant will be receiving a key for her own personal mailbox. I'm thrilled with this result because it makes that suite more like home to be able to receive your own bills and personal correspondences privately. I'll just update this post for anyone who searches this topic in future.

It is a bit of a process to get this done so I will outline how to do it for anyone interested.

1. Call Canada Post 1-844-454-3009 and explain that only one key was issue for the address.
2. Canada Post will send out an internal message to the local conversion team regarding the new mailbox request. Write down the reference number provided.
3. If you do not hear from the local conversion team in the time Canada Post described, call Canada Post again from (1).
4. The local conversion team will contact you and instruct you that a key will be sent to your tenant. For security reasons, the key is not sent to the landlord.

kfort

Registered
I've got two suited properties on corner lots, my guess is i will be dealing with this at least once. Many thanks for posting.

Christine

Registered
Just wanted to update my experience with this.

I had purchased a house with a legal suite however when I called Canada Post they had no record of it.
I first had to go to the city and apply to have a new address for this suite. After 2 weeks the city had a new address and then I contacted Canada Post to get a mailbox for it.

sbh

REIN Member
Thanks, its been a long slow battle here in Calgary, I think we have only been successful on a few. Canada Post is a big bureaucratic machine with a tonne of red tape.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ I'm assuming you want a separate key for the illegal basement suite? Call up Canada Post and see what their policy is (without posting you physical address). I'll just be speculating as the answer. I don't think that you are entitled to a key because there is no separate location to deliver mail to.

Top Bottom