Fourplex Mailboxes

matthewrlee

Registered
May 9, 2013
Hello,

I have a fourplex that is zoned single-family in Toronto. Therefore, because it is zoned single-family, only two suites are allowed (one main suite + one accessory suite), but four units are not. Since it used to be a single-family before it was renovated, there was (and still is) only one mailbox on the front of the brick house. Each unit has their own entrance, and there is no other place to put the mailbox except on the front of the house.

Anyway, after several years of ownerships, I'm having an issue with mail. Tenants grab their own mail from the common mailbox, and that has been fine. But the problem is upon tenant turnover. As we all know, tenants don't always change their address for all pieces of mail (especially for non-important mail), so lots of junk mail from old tenants still comes to this property. It is now beginning to pile up, since the current tenants only grab their own mail, and leave the rest (which is natural). When I used to live in one of the units, it was fine, because I used to filter thru the junk mail (since I knew all the current tenants' names). But since I have moved out, the problem is building up.

I'm wondering what the best solution is:

1) Install four mailboxes. This is a dead giveaway that there are four apartments, and raises red flags to any passerby (and to the city). I'm concerned that I'm exposing myself to unnecessary liability. I would like to continue to fly under the radar.

2) Is there a wall mailbox that looks like one mailbox from afar (so as to not raise suspicion), but has different "slots"? Maybe something like a wall magazine rack, but with individual slots?

3) Stick with one mailbox. How do I improve this situation?

4) Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Dec 14, 2013
Calgary
The simplest solution is to ask one of your most trusted tenants to distribute the mail.

The mail delivery is under no obligation to sort the mail out into different slots as there is not different legal addresses.

I hope that Toronto is not as strict as Edmonton when it comes to non-conforming suites. All it takes in Edmonton is one complaint to the city and Edmonton Safe Housing will conduct an immediate inspection and order shutdown of non-conforming suites. Non compliance can be charged out at $400 per day. It may not even be a tenant, it could be a home owner who doesn't have his street parking available one day.

If you run illegal suites, have a backup plan. The cash flow is temporary.

kfort

Registered
Sep 1, 2010
Get a second identical mailbox an mark it "return" or "wrong address".

Or, if you're worried (as maybe you shoul be!) about being reported and getting shut down, place a small box in the common area and request tenants put mail of moved folks there. I'm sure you could print a list of the most recently moved people on the box and not have to worry too much about privacy issues. Empty the box monthly or bi-weekly

in addition, with your moving out package and cleaning reminder, provide a website and phone # for the one stop forwarding mail service... Unless you want to be a professional mail emptier that is. Follow up 1 week after move out. Don't create a complicated solution for a simple problem!

3canctheayr

Registered
Nov 28, 2013
My question is - why buy a building that is going to put you into such a liability issue?

Can you make your payments if the city finds out and acts?

Chances are that you have all sorts of code violations in that building, if it was done illegally & you did post recently about plumbing problems.

You can also get sued over some of these issues, if someone get injured etc.

I'd say your problems & potential problems are a bit more extensive than a mailbox issue..........

Something to think about.