Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you stay motivated?

Aaron Moore

REIN Member
I find "living below your means" can be more fun and less stressful. It helped me save money for investments and have left over funds to enjoy.

Housing and vehicle expenses are two of the largest costs to control. Smaller cars and smaller apartments/houses have lower monthly debt payments, utilities, and maintenance. If you keep these two major costs down then you have more money to invest and build wealth... and also for the fun stuff... good food, travel, friends and family.

If you really enjoy fast cars & big houses, then you need another strategy. :)

Matt, since you have low housing costs I'll bet you have high auto costs. If you have an expensive car, then add up ALL your auto expenses last year and think about what else you could do with those funds.

richardkp

REIN Member
I find that my wife keeps me motivated - she continually keeps us both on track and focussed on whats important to get us to our goals and the "belieze". Which by the way is on my left right now so I can look at it for visual motivation!!

One other thing I do if I am really questioning it all is book an appointment at the Audi garage to go test drive the belieze car - S5. This really motivates me once I have driven it. Also gives me chance to talk to the salespeople there when they ask me what I do - always a possibility of a JV partner!

Finally - other REIN members, in particular local to me, as well as those that I know from ACRE and ALIFE events (joey and mike gillespie I have started talking with). These guys always make me more motivated and push me along the road when I want to sit or turn back.

You have to find what matters most to you and find the way to use that to motivate yourself. Start with a belieze board.

MJabora

Registered
Another big thank you to everyone! All input is extremely important. You can bet my debt over last two years has been a result of the superficial.

I scrimped and saved, put myself through university with only 8000 in loans after 4 years. Worked 30-40 hours a week ontop of school. Once I graduated, I felt I could buy anything I wanted! My biggest pitfall was a mustang purchase - initially worth 28K. In the last year, I had realized that all this stuff was just that - STUFF! I ended up selling my mustang (for a HUGE loss - depreciation is horrible) and ridding myself of other things that weren't necessary. I'm now driving an older Ford Ranger and only buying things I NEED not WANT. Temptation is always there - especially at my age - but I have to teach myself to buckle down and look to the future.

Keep the input coming - I'm learning lots. Also if anyone is ever interested in telling me their story over a drink I would love to hear it! I'm in Hamilton, ON.

Matt

JoeRagona

Registered
Hey Richard!!!

Thanks for the great mention on helping you stay motivated! I appreciate that!

Your Audi is not far off :D

JoeRagona

Registered
:) John, select "quote" and then adjust what you want to include in your 'reply' post. At least I THINK that's what you are looking to do

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=johnsu] LMAO! How do you hilight parts of post?

When you hit "quote" it puts the whole post you are quoting in quote tags in the text editor. Then, you can delete parts that you're not interested in replying to, or bold/color change one particular part that you're referencing. That can be done using the buttons at the top of the text editor.

Regards,

Michael

richardkp

REIN Member
[quote user=JoeRagona]Hey Richard!!!

Thanks for the great mention on helping you stay motivated! I appreciate that!

Your Audi is not far off :D

More than happy to give credit where it is due Joey ;) Time for another test drive

acurAspec

Registered
I'm 28 and have been spending my money more than I should on things I do not need and partying with friends-- I am guilty.

However I still find money to spend on other things in life and have been purchasing tools in preparation to buying my first triplex when I was 26. These tools that I have been collecting from various box stores at a significant discount have now built my units and helped me renovate on my own which in turn-- saved me money! My friends now come to my garage and envy my tool collection! Funny enough-- Nowadays I will rather stay in on the weekend and use my tools to create something because I am so comfortable with them; this has now become my way of having fun.

I know what you are saying but as everyone has mentioned here already-- think positive and have a goal and try to achieve it by sticking to your plan... review it daily and it will come easier. I know that sooner or later my goal will be achieved when I am able to hire other professionals to do my work as I buy myself time in return to do other things we would all rather do-- spend it with family, friends, travelling etc.....

This will take time but no one said things will simply fall into your hands. Some luck may come into play but most of all, it will be your hard work that you will look back to one day and appreciate because now that saved money will be working for YOU.

Sasha

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
All excellent posts/suggestions.

I would like to add - "don't beat yourselves up". It's never too late the fact is that you're realizing now. It's these experiences that help all of us realize what it is we want/need to do and what we are going to do with that information to guard ourselves and make the change for tomorrow. It's those experiences that will be the "inner voice" to tell ourselves - nope, that doesn't fit into my plan and I remember what happened last time I made that choice.

Always ask yourself as you take out that debit card or visa - "does that get me closer to my goal?". Get a notebook and write down EVERY purchase (trust me - that works) so when you review what you spent your money on daily, you'll look at even the useless little purchases (even that extra coffee - did you need to buy it). Create a vision board - whether a file folder on your laptop/ipad. It doesn't matter what other people have to say - as long as you stay focused on what you want - it's your life, on your terms. Surrounding yourself by like-minded individuals will keep you motivated and stay here with us!

Much success in all you do and you're on a great first step!

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Congratulations for being authentic and starting this excellent thread!

Harv Eker's little gem of a book, Millionaire Mind, has an excellent chapter on dividing up your monthly earnings into categories like "saving" and "play" so you save for investing but get to spend some money on play, to be good to yourself too. (It's also has great stuff about your money mindset and changing it.)

I find that being good to myself, even in small ways like lying on the beach in the sun by the waves or eating my favourite gelato or going to a performance that tickles me, makes me feel good. Done on a regular basis these "pamperings" increase my self esteem and confidence.

I agree with Thomas about the bubble baths! I light candles too and turn off the lights.

You're on the right track!

Margaret

Top Bottom