Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Multifamily in Edmonton

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
The get rich fast MF party is over.

If you buy with 30-35% down and hold with modest rent increases and modest improvement you can still make decent money but be prepared for lower overall ROI. A 60-100% ROI over ten years doable but higher than that tough.

It’s tough now to beat public (and far more liquid) REIT performance.

Buying undermanaged assets with upside still exists in many US markets though but by and large not in W-Canada anymore to build a reliable business model. You will of course every so often get lucky and find a motivated (usually overlevered) seller !

Willyboy

Frequent Forum Member
Registered

If you buy with 30-35% down and hold with modest rent increases and modest improvement you can still make decent money but be prepared for lower overall ROI. A 60-100% ROI over ten years doable but higher than that tough.

Buying undermanaged assets with upside still exists in many US markets though but by and large not in W-Canada anymore to build a reliable business model. You will of course every so often get lucky and find a motivated (usually overlevered) seller !

Thanks Thomas for highlighting the new reality as it can save one money and time.

One question though if you don't mind. The 60-100% ROI you mentioned include all the 3 main components i.e. cash flow, mortgage pay down and appreciation or just the first two? Thank you.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member

Thanks Thomas for highlighting the new reality as it can save one money and time.

One question though if you don't mind. The 60-100% ROI you mentioned include all the 3 main components i.e. cash flow, mortgage pay down and appreciation or just the first two? Thank you.

All three of course, like a good meal. Cash flow doesn’t exist in MF once you factor in R&M, vacancies, required capital expenditures, evictions and non-payment over a sustained ownership period.

That’s why most REITs rarely have over 50% leverage as they have to deliver some cash distributions monthly. Even those often come from refi or occasional asset sale not only from operational monthly cash-flow but cash engineering over a large enough asset base.

Thomas Beyer, Asset Manager, Investor, Community Improver, Author, Father, Mentor www.prestprop.com

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
Ok

Trump loses in 2020 and 5 year CMHC rates ( for loans over $1M but sub $5M) over 4%: lunch’s on me !

Thomas Beyer, Asset Manager, Investor, Community Improver, Author, Father, Mentor www.prestprop.com
It appears I've lost this bet Mr. B, but gained a CMHC mortgage on a 24 suiter at sub 2%. Lunch is on me, but not sure when I'll be heading for the sunshine coast!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Anytime bro

I also can eat in Van or Kelowna

I’ll ring you up next time I am in the sunny Okanagan !!

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

TangoWhiskey

Registered
It appears I've lost this bet Mr. B, but gained a CMHC mortgage on a 24 suiter at sub 2%. Lunch is on me, but not sure when I'll be heading for the sunshine coast!
Nice one :) on coming back to this thread and bet two years later.

Out of curiosity, with the crazy but in hindsight predictable run-up in RE values globally in response to the money supply inflation, have values out West for MF seen cap rate compression/rent growth = return of big refi checks?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Nice one :) on coming back to this thread and bet two years later.

Out of curiosity, with the crazy but in hindsight predictable run-up in RE values globally in response to the money supply inflation, have values out West for MF seen cap rate compression/rent growth = return of big refi checks?

Yes somewhat in BC, no in SK or AB, although cap rates always have been lower in BC than in AB or SK. Weak, if any, rent growth in AB or SK the last six years. More so in BC thus higher valuations but not necessarily cap rate compressions.

Top Bottom