Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Opening Account with Supply Stores for Contractor to Use - Good Idea?

RE123RE

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi,
Do you have/ have you opened an account for your handyman or contractor with any of the supplies superstores like Home Depot, Rona or Evans?
Do you think it is a good idea to work with contractors this way?
I understand this allows them to pick up the material needed where you pay the store monthly, and them only for labor.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited:

dplummer

Registered
When contractors are not paying for their own materials they tend not to be careful with purchases. It's also difficult to ensure that materials they buy are for your job alone & not for someone else. My advise have the contractor buy the materials & provide recites for you to view and/or question. Or give you a quoted fixed price including materials & labour for the job.
Doug

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
For handymen, yes I typically buy the materials. I am registered with a few home improvement stores. If the job is under ~$200, I just pay the handyman markup material cost.

For tradesmen, I let them buy the materials and pay the marked-up price.

RE123RE

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi,
Thank you Matt and dplummer.
The account in question is such that you get an email upon each purchase they make.
Thanks

RE123RE

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi,
Shuld the handyman still include material specs in his quotes in the case of working this way with a supplies store account?
Thanks

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Yes, material specs are important to me. It is a devil-in-the-details issue. It is a requirement for me.

Dustin Racine

www.bwpconstructionedmonton.com
Registered
I wouldn't set up a commercial account for contractors personally. Any reputable tradesman should already have company accounts set up with wholesalers/suppliers. Also, if they make an unauthorized purchase the credit card company will not go to bat for you. The merchant is the only one who can cancel/refund a transaction.
If you have a general contractor overseeing a large job and he/she needs a deposit to begin to buy material and pay trades, I get it. Just make sure you're covered legally. I once had a homeowner put a temporary covenant on my home once he gave me a 20k deposit, he was burned before so he was a bit paranoid. I agreed and upon completion it was removed and all was well).

However, if it's a small job, let them price it out for material and labor (in my opinion). Plus, ordering any material from the big box stores can be a challenge at the best of times; items not in stock after they confirmed they had them on the phone, orders not picked and ready when you arrive, material back ordered without your knowledge, etc. Probably not worth the headaches.

Top Bottom