Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Potential Tenants

BrianJamieson

Registered
She has contacted me as well. I would have been disappointed if she was this busy and didn`t!

Brian

mflynn

Registered
I know! I feel left out..........

QUOTE (BrianJamieson @ Jun 9 2009, 02:17 PM) She has contacted me as well. I would have been disappointed if she was this busy and didn`t!

Brian

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Well I can see I`m missing some entertainment on myreinspace!! LOL Honest to Goodness as my Mother would say. What I have to say is I also stopped reading the excuses in the second sentence. If they are telling these longwinded dramatic tales when you don`t even have them as tenants yet, imagine what will happen when they are. No one should be desperate enough to rent to someone like this!!

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (RebeccaBryan @ Jun 9 2009, 03:48 PM) . No one should be desperate enough to rent to someone like this!!

I almost was.....
then I would have been coming to you for advice on how to evict

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jun 9 2009, 08:54 PM) I almost was.....
then I would have been coming to you for advice on how to evict

How are you making out with other applicants, Ed?

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (mortgageman @ Jun 9 2009, 07:59 PM) How are you making out with other applicants, Ed?

Nothing else, my feeling is there is an oversupply of available rentals in that specific sector - for now.

brad

REIN Member
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jun 9 2009, 11:04 PM) Nothing else, my feeling is there is an oversupply of available rentals in that specific sector - for now.

Agreed.

AndyLuchies

Registered
QUOTE (koop @ Jun 9 2009, 10:52 AM) WOW, REIN is like a mob, that poor, poor lady will be living under a bridge in a couple days and we just all laugh.
Did she live in Alberta in the past? This sounds like one of my buddies past tenants.

OK, I`m confused, do we feel sorry for her? I sure as heck don`t. I don`t have time for people who can`t even tell the truth. Perhaps a few nights under a bridge will straighten her out.

Poor, poor lady? She`s trying to take advantage of other people`s kindness. I think someone should start an ontario-wide blacklist where landlords can post tenants names and give them a +10 to -10 rating so everyone knows the scam artists...it`d sure snuff that stuff out quickly (too bad it will never happen).

Terminator

Registered
Good Morning,

I was referred to this great board by another great board through Canadian Business Online.

Glad to see that as a group, you are recognizing a scam when you see one!!!! This is a sign of things to come...if she`s coming up with stories now, just wait until she`s in the apartment or house...yikes! Run away!!!

Terminator

QUOTE (RandyDalton @ Jun 9 2009, 07:07 AM) Wow! This was a great post and learning lesson for me. As I read the first few posts my thoughts were to consider what she was saying and talk with the existing landlord to find out their experiences with this tenant. I know from experience that my wife constantly left everything behind during her pregnancy and shortly after my daughter was born. Hormones do crazy things to your mind. And my near photographic memory when I was younger has been diminished to trying to remember what I had for breakfast. Seriously. It is a big joke with my now teenage daughter.

But then I read Neil`s post. Wow was I wrong!

However if this ever happened to me then my curiosity would get the better of me. I would want to talk with the evicting landlord to get the whole story.

Regards...Randy D.

koop

Registered
QUOTE (jessandy @ Jun 10 2009, 05:43 AM) OK, I`m confused, do we feel sorry for her? I sure as heck don`t. I don`t have time for people who can`t even tell the truth. Perhaps a few nights under a bridge will straighten her out.

Poor, poor lady? She`s trying to take advantage of other people`s kindness. I think someone should start an ontario-wide blacklist where landlords can post tenants names and give them a +10 to -10 rating so everyone knows the scam artists...it`d sure snuff that stuff out quickly (too bad it will never happen).

I am kidding, I HATE being lied to, I HATE manipulation, and anyone who comes round looking to use people (even if its not me) I don`t feel sorry for when they get what they deserve.

Is there a reason there can`t be a data base that a LL can check for past tenant history? I thought I heard of one here in Manitoba, it costs, but would save a person $$$$

JoeRagona

Registered
Here`s my noob story in short:

Good heart, yes, inexperience for sure!

My first purchase was for a family that wanted a Rent to Own. All good. Same profile as myself when I started in business and had my difficulties. NO verified income, one month loads of cash, next month nothing, way behind in taxes, crappy credit etc.

They tell me, everything`s good and we want to buy the property in a year instead of the 3 that we are scheduled for.

Here are my MAJOR mistakes:

1. Signed them to a 3 yes...THREE year lease.
2. Gracioulsy let them move in HOURS after the house closed "because we already scheduled the delivery of our new appliances"
3. Overlooked getting 2 years NOAs
4. Did not push to check on his credit "because my credit is so bad, there is no use for you to check it. I`m already telling you."
5. Because they are carpenters, wanted to help them out and get them more business (this is my good heart and emotions talking again and in reality, LACK OF EXPERIENCE) so I connected some personal friends to them.

After the second month, all things went to hell. Cheques bounced, rude emails to my friends about not having the decency to make a split second decision to use them etc.

After all of this started happening, I knew it was over. They moved in August, and November until March there was 0 payment in rent.

I still, as a good landlord sent a christmas card WITH a 100$ Kelseys gift card. I followed all the rules with the LTB via my PM and we had a court ruling in our favour in April after they did not show up. They paid MOST of the back rent but still owe substantial amount.

I can have my own BLOG with the emails and excuses they came up with since October of last year.

As of today, they are being evicted.

THE GOOD PART TO ALL OF THIS:

I was wise enough to get a HUGE deposit of $10,000 for the rent to own that carries the house for me so I am not out of pocket.

And everyone will tell you that your first purchase is where you learn a lot. Well, I`ve learned MY share of `welcome to LL hell."

All I can say is that it is not a discouragement it is a true learning experience and it has helped me in my last 3 tenant placements.

I also have everyone on this board for their stories and advice as I would have never known how to react to such a rookie move.

So there it is, my heart on my sleeve - now you can pick apart my in experience and maybe some of the new members can learn from my mistakes.

holymoly

Registered
QUOTE (JDRInvestments @ Jun 10 2009, 09:44 AM) 3. Overlooked getting 2 years NOAs
What are NOAs? (Evidently I didn`t get them either, lol!)

JoeRagona

Registered
QUOTE (holymoly @ Jun 10 2009, 10:30 AM) What are NOAs? (Evidently I didn`t get them either, lol!)

Notice of Assessments from the government to ensure they do not owe any back taxes.

But you do not need them from my experience if you are only renting. If you plan to sell back to the tenant in an RTO, then you would want to know if they owe taxes because guess who comes first when they have to pay?

Terminator

Registered
QUOTE (JDRInvestments @ Jun 10 2009, 06:30 AM) I`m wondering if Terminator is the same one that I refer people to for the `black-list" although she operates north of T.O. if you need someone to help evict, this is a great contact.
http://www.landlordlegal.ca/donotrent.html

Hi Joe! Yes, it`s me....I didn`t want to "advertise" per se, out of respect for your Board Rules. Thanks for linking to my DNR List... it is constantly growing, so keep checking back, as many of the repeat offenders like to move into new jurisdictions!

Terminator

EdRenkema

Registered
Back to the original topic, since I have so many experts tuning in, here is my last communication from the same prospective tenant and its not what I thought:
Hi Ed: I have managed to raise last month and the remainder of June so half of June if you are available in the morning the man who is assisting us would like to meet to make sure he can see where the money goes. Is it still available?

This is a surprise apparently the same lady has been applying to other landlords with similar responses.
So if she has first and last should I proceed with caution??

invst4profit

Registered
The key, should you decide to spend the money on a credit check, is to make sure you do a thorough personal back ground check. Make sure you are actually speaking to her present landlord and previous landlord, her employer etc. Trust no one, ask trick questions assuming they are only posing. Her LLs should be the most interesting topic.You will likely find she has some elaborate reason why you can not speak to these people or why she has bad credit going back before her alleged husband died etc.
I personally would not waste my time or money
. But you may discover we are all wrong and she is simply a scatter brain.

If you do go ahead tell her you are also interviewing other applicants and will chose the most eligible. Her response to that may be interesting and tell you a lot before proceeding to spend any money on a credit check.
Who is this guy that is assisting her, what interest is it of his, is it someone she will eventually have move in with her along with the rest of her troll family.

Please do keep us informed.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jun 10 2009, 03:00 PM) The key, should you decide to spend the money on a credit check, is to make sure you do a thorough personal back ground check. Make sure you are actually speaking to her present landlord and previous landlord, her employer etc. Trust no one, ask trick questions assuming they are only posing. Her LLs should be the most interesting topic.
You will likely find she has some elaborate reason why you can not speak to these people or why she has bad credit going back before her alleged husband died etc.
I personally would not waste my time or money. But you may discover we are all wrong and she is simply a scatter brain.

Thanks Greg, I already did a credit check and its not good, but most of my tenants have bad credit, that`s why they are tenants. The last one I rented to will never own a home, but are good tenants that pay on time. This one has issues in 05 & 06 where they paid late or not at all. The previous LLs, I called both and both gave her a good reference.
I will go even further and ask for more confirmation.

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jun 10 2009, 02:48 PM) ...the man who is assisting us would like to meet to make sure he can see where the money goes. Is it still available?
The guy who is helping them may want to meet you to see if you are trustworthy orrrr..... Maybe HE DOESN`T TRUST HER and wants to make sure the money is being used for rent and not something else. Based on the info I`ve read in these posts I`m guessing the latter.

Ed, I would really give serious consideration to the information and advice the folks participating in this discussion have given you. I think most would agree this one has huge potential to end very badly. She may have last months and part of June but what about Aug., Sept., Oct...? Will she have rent for those months or just more elaborate stories. As entertaining as this saga has been, I would hate to see more posts on her excuses in the future because you`ve decided to rent to her. You`re better off with a vacancy and waiting for the right tenant than rushing into renting to this woman.

Top Bottom