Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Real Estate Summit : Nov5 - Satellite Offices (per the chat)

Ivan Sabourin

New Forum Member
Registered
Just an opener here...
... as per the chat about satellite offices. Hopefully you guys find this place and we can continue the ideas. For now, I will leave this short and sweet and add to it as we find it.

Ivan Sabourin

New Forum Member
Registered
... so during the "summit" and idea was raised that kinda took off in the chat. Judging from the lack of views here, I don't think the interested parties found this post...

anywho,
The idea was quite simple but I think very relevant.

There is a large shift to work from home and we know that. But a lot of us don't have the proper settings to work from home efficiently and effectively. I have an opinion on the WFH shift and it doesn't have much to do with the health crisis. With open office structures, team rooms, open door policies, loud talkers, shared desks, constantly ringing phones that have nothing to do with you or your department, offset break structures, long commutes, traffic, road rage, and cultural differences... I think the work force of people have reached their breaking point pertaining to that office spaces. The health crisis gave everyone the excuse needed to break that "norm" of the office.

I think people still want to go to an office... a separate space, away from family and home. Some are fortunate enough to have the room and funds to create this space in their home and I know the demand in new construction is threw the roof - for a dedicated home office with excellent sound proofing and separation from the household. Others make due with what they have - the kitchen bar, the spare bedroom, the utility room with no windows, and the forever floating TV tray office.

I propose a new kind of office space. I propose a flex office built in a residential neighbourhood in a building that camouflages neatly into the building scheme of that neighbourhood. This building should be 3 stories tall, fairly modern, well lit, with a good curated landscaping. The building should contain "12 x 12" offices with one non-opening window and a dedicated heating/ac unit in each.
Each suite would be furnish with a desk (no chair), small fridge, horizontal filing cabinet, built-in cupboards, hard flooring, and area rug. The services in each suite would consist of 1 high speed data connection and wifi hub, a 64" TV with wifi and computer connection, a high quality web cam and microphone, and two stereo in ceiling theatre speakers.
Building services would include two 20 x 20 conference rooms (with wifi, large screen, web cam, table directional mic, solid table, 7 quality chairs), 1 family style bathroom with 3 enclosed stalls and 2 sinks, a break room with a small coffee bar with 2 vending machine (1 cold drinks, 1 snacks), coffee machine, full size fridge, two microwaves, and water cooler.
There would be a small cloak room for seasonal wears or items clients prefer were not in their offices. Hallways would be carpeted and hallway walls would be fabric to minimize hallway noise.

The rooms could be rented for a reasonable rate short term or long term. I foresee larger companies willing to pay the rentals for their employees. Conference rooms could be rented separately - not just the building occupants. Real Estate agents, construction consultants, designers, are always looking for usable conference rooms all around the city.

I truly believe that this is the next model of the office work space. I want to build it and I think there is room for one of these buildings in every neighbourhood.

... ... ...

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Sounds interesting Ivan. Why a desk and no chair?

Ivan Sabourin

New Forum Member
Registered
... Hey Tina,

No chair because as I have experienced in my working life time... everyone has amazingly different expectations for their office chair - as they should cause they spend a lot of time in it.

I for instance don't care much cause I am usually moving around so I use what is available... then it breaks... then I throw a fit, scare everyone in the office, and throw the chair out the front door.
My assistant however, likes to use and oversized fabric chair so she can curl up like a pretzel while she works... sure, you do you.
... and my wife demanded a $1400 chair ON SALE... won't tell you about that fight, but she likes her chair.

So...
NO Chair... bring your own.

;)

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
... Hey Tina,

No chair because as I have experienced in my working life time... everyone has amazingly different expectations for their office chair - as they should cause they spend a lot of time in it.

I for instance don't care much cause I am usually moving around so I use what is available... then it breaks... then I throw a fit, scare everyone in the office, and throw the chair out the front door.
My assistant however, likes to use and oversized fabric chair so she can curl up like a pretzel while she works... sure, you do you.
... and my wife demanded a $1400 chair ON SALE... won't tell you about that fight, but she likes her chair.

So...
NO Chair... bring your own.

;)
You got me there!!! We do have our own needs, own your need!

Top Bottom