Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

replacing or repair broken appliance

yaonchung

Registered
Hi can anyone suggestion a good company that does appliance repair or sell appliance in decent price in edmonton?
My tenant just inform me that his fridge is broken. I will need to either repair it or replace it. Which is better way to go? The fridge itself is 3 years old. The describe issue is it trip the breaker as well leaks water from the base of the fridge.

And does anyone know if there is regulation regards to how much time i have to replace/repair it?

MonicaPaslawski

REIN Member
We have three Kenmore fridges with bottom freezer - they are ALL leaking water from the base of the fridge. They are all about two years old. I unfortunately bought the same fridge for our house at the same time I bought the two others - so I know about that annoying leak. Poor manufacturing that's for sure. I'm in the process of dealing with Sears on it, but I'm pretty sure I'll get no satisfaction. Sears (and appliances in general for that matter) are not what they used to be. I think maybe there are a lot of fridges out there the same?

kfort

Registered
If it trips the breaker the compressor may be shot. When the compressor seizes up it draws too many amps at startup and trips the breaker. Prior to worrying a lot about it, I would unplug it for a few hours just in case it's frozen in the evaporator also. (I hold a refrigeration ticket, I'm not just suggesting random things)

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^^ Yikes that is bad luck with the Kenmore fridges.

I've checked a number of used fridge warehouses and second hand appliance stores in Edmonton. All in all, I didn't find them to be a very good deal as it saves only $150 - $200 from new. For a while I was shopping Kijiji and buying appliances off there. There are some good deals there. If you don't count the cost of your time at all that is probably the place where you can find the best deals. It often takes about half a day and you really don't know how long the appliance is going to last. It can be about half the price of new.

At this point, my properties cash flow so I don't consider my time to be free. I buy all appliances from the Brick with 5 year extended labour and product warranty. I usually pay the $80 for delivery and removal of the old appliance as well. I have a 10-year expected life with these appliances and it takes a maintenance issue totally off my plate. It is a huge annoyance for tenants to have to put up with appliance repair. It really hurts your chances of getting a lease renewal which is where you start to really make your money back in this business.

For me, I look at it in terms of economic life of an appliance:

New with 5-year warranty, delivery and removal of old appliance = 10 year life, $850 = $85/year

Used appliance from used warehouse distributor, no warranty, requires personal delivery = 5 year life, $500 - $600 = $100 - 120/year

Kijiji appliance requires delivery, no warranty, requires personal delivery = 5 year life, $450 - 500 = $90 - $100/year

But, your choice for appliances also depends on your exit strategy. If you plan to exit the property in 2 years, I would probably use Kijiji. I plan to pay off my mortgages so I develop and purchase with the view of long term ownership with minimum maintenance. Hope that helps!

bb2

Registered
I use Fort Road Appliances for new and used. Reasonable rates.

RyP

New Member, Learning to fly!
REIN Member
Fort Road has been great for us too. Good old scratch and dent, we even used them for the appliances in our primary residence. All there appliances, new and used come with min 1 year warranty. Just get your self ready to haggle a bit to get the lowest price.

Dustin Racine

www.bwpconstructionedmonton.com
Registered
I was going to suggest fort road as well. We did a up and down suite for some clients. We used fort road appliances and we're please.

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hi all

I highly recommend Fort Road appliances, I have used them for approx 7 years, the owner has always been great to me, he knows what I want when it comes to repairs or replacement, he's honest and has no problems delivering if I'm not on site. His repairs are more than fair in price.

Lisa

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hey SVS

Has the paint turned out well for you? i"m always skeptical of these things on old appliances as tenants are hard on things

Lisa

SVS

Realtor/Investor K-W-C and surrounding area
REIN Member
I have never tried painting an entire unit yet mostly because I didn't want to do it insude, in the summer I planned on trying to do a fridge with 2 coats to see how it finishes.

But it will work great for dents and sratches and scrapes, for example when you get those white streaks from rubbing against a stone wall. Or to give a face lift to an in-counter stove or dishwasher because the face comes off and you can take it outside.

I like old appliances for the reason tenants are harder on things I could care less if I have to replace a 100$-200$ oven, every 2 -3 years. I furnished 2 units with fridge stoves washer and dryer for under 300$ off kijiji so far 1 dryer has broken. I also don't rent to higher end tenants

SokalskiT

Registered
Call Fort Road Appliance, he knows his stuff and can give you an idea of what the problem may be and price. There prices are decent and he's quick.

Top Bottom