Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Saskatoon Property Manager - recommendations?

Nicola

Registered
Hello,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good property manager for a couple of houses in Saskatoon.

Please help!

Thanks!

kfort

Registered
Avoid Universal Realty at all costs.

Generally speaking avoid the realtors who think since they are driving around anyway they can do it.

and Elite is average at best... They are currently slacking pretty good at a condo I hold.

Nicola

Registered
Thanks for that, Kris.

Has anyone heard anything about Real Canadian Property Management in Saskatoon? I think they have been in operation since last December.

bradyloewen

Registered
Any luck with Saskatoon Property Managers? We will be looking for a manager for 5 suited properties in the fall and want to get things in place before we move.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi Brady,
I always like to check out any company with the Better Business Bureau. Once you find a property management company, make sure to do your Due Diligence and check them out.

kfort

Registered
I use me. The three I've tried were all incompetent, non-responsive, and generally speaking knew less about the RTA than I did. Making my life harder. I don't pay people to make my life harder.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
Not knowing much about rent to own I suspect that since it is unconventional most property managers wouldn't either. Try managing several apartment buildings on your own, it's just not realistic and good property managers have made it possible to keep buying.

kfort

Registered
RTA = Residential tenancies act. The basics like how much notice is required, how to serve notice, when to check smoke alarms, how to screen an applicant, and how to advertise (or when) a place were all apparently out of the realm of common knowledge for all of the above mentioned.

Not sure why RTO would require a property manager

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
Disappointing that you can't find anyone to perform to your satisfaction, especially after three attempts. How many units are you self managing? Are you still in search of another property manager?

kfort

Registered
I've got 6 in Saskatoon currently. I've got a good system going. Was a busy summer with a handful of turnovers and some minor upgrades to complete but generally, I put in about 3-5 hrs per month on management. I couldn't use my current system and double my portfolio, but I also don't have any aspirations to either. I appreciate the almost automated response of a few folks here that say "your time is best spend acquiring more property and partners" but not everyone wants that.

I plan on picking up another suited house this year and then, time will tell. Currently I have no desire to test the property manager waters again. At one point my goal was 2 doors per year for the first 10 years then re-evaluate. Now it's 8-12 doors and re-evaluate.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
There is nothing wrong with that at all, and certainly everyone should self manage before farming it out to get their feet wet. Those that enjoy it often turn it into their full time gig. It seems more often than not, a rookie will buy a property and seek property management right away, and not really know what the job entails which creates stress for them and the PM. I had to quit after running a multi for three years long distance, as it was just too much to handle all alone.

Do you have any experience with Progressive?

kfort

Registered
No direct experience w Progressive. Wife's old condo (corp) was handled by them at one point (pretty sure it was then I remember the sign), eventually switched because of poor service. However, gotta be honest, I believe that you'll find at least some complaints about ALL pm providers. And I believe that almost all of them focus on new clients and let older clients accounts slide a bit. It's in their nature and it almost makes business sense. They'll never turn down more (even if can't provide top notch service for it) and they know they've got several months of slacking before people fire them. As such, they seem to try to make a good impression then slack off.

This is a gross generalization based off my experience.

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
That is a unique and somewhat gloomy perspective. I have had great service over the years but communications and setting expectations was key. It's difficult to let go and hand the keys part of your business over to someone else but for me it was something I had to do as never regretted it.

Top Bottom