Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant screening tips (?)

wilkinson

Registered
What kinds of questions do you ask of employers, personal references and past landlords that weeds out "friends"?

john75

Registered
This is a very informative thread.

I would like to thank everyone that contribute.

invst4profit

Registered
[quote name=`wilkinson` date=`May 13 2009, 10:38 AM` post=`57578`]
What kinds of questions do you ask of employers, personal references and past landlords that weeds out "friends"?

Employers:

After confirming the phone number is in fact a business (research the employer, confirm business number in phone book, call HR and ask for manager by name etc.) I confirm that the applicant has informed them that they have authorized me to call them. I ask questions regarding there length of employment, attendance, rates, work ethics and whether if they had a rental unit would they rent to them.

Personal references:

Assuming you have first had a personal meeting with the applicant you should try to ask leading questions about personality traits you have observed of the applicant. This can sometimes lead them to open up to you as they get the impression that you know the applicant on a more personal level.

Past landlords:

First thing you say is you have heard they have an apartment for rent and you are interested in seeing it. This will catch them off guard and there response will clearly confirm if they are a landlord or not. If they are explain why you are calling and ask pointed questions. Some landlords will not give negative responses for fear of slander but usually you can read between the lines. If for example you ask if they were a good tenant and the response is "no comment" or lacks any personal reflection they were probably not good tenants.
Ask if they ever paid late.
Ask if they would rent to them again.

etc.

wilkinson

Registered
[quote name=`invst4profit` date=`May 13 2009, 11:42 AM` post=`57591`]
[quote name=`wilkinson` date=`May 13 2009, 10:38 AM` post=`57578`]
Does anyone do criminal records checks on prospective tenants? Can this be done? Should it be done?

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (manojsingh @ May 1 2009, 11:26 PM) Which credit check company you use. How long they take to set up the account.Thanks

Best way for them to do a credit check is right in front of you online or have them work it through transunion/equifax themselves if a computer is not available.

The new identity theft laws make it harder for landlords to do it for the potential tenants (it is the most frustrating thing...its almost as bad as qualifying for a mortgage).

If Tenants do it by themselves they do have to pay a fee, however you should sell it to them as:

Well, I can appreciate the fact that you do have to pay a fee to get your credit checked...however in the long run it would be better if you get it done yourself because you won`t lose points on your credit score. If I did it, you would automatically lose 15 points...

In your opinion, since you have to get your credit checked..do you see the value in protecting your credit score and doing it on your own?

BrianPersaud

Registered
Past landlords:

First thing you say is you have heard they have an apartment for rent and you are interested in seeing it. This will catch them off guard and there response will clearly confirm if they are a landlord or not. If they are explain why you are calling and ask pointed questions. Some landlords will not give negative responses for fear of slander but usually you can read between the lines. If for example you ask if they were a good tenant and the response is "no comment" or lacks any personal reflection they were probably not good tenants.
Ask if they ever paid late.
Ask if they would rent to them again.

etc.

Another way to check up on past landlords is to go the city tax assessment office or ask your real estate agent to check in land registry and see if they are in fact the real owner.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (wilkinson @ May 13 2009, 10:38 AM) What kinds of questions do you ask of employers, personal references and past landlords that weeds out "friends"?

As long as you have control of the conversation by asking open ended questions (such as length of employment, wages, what kind of person are they) you will get information teased out that you wouldn`t expect. Do a lot of listening and only ask questions.

A quick tip:
Before you ask questions of previous employers ask for recent pay stubs and their t4`s. I have employers write reference letters, verified that they were working there...and a few weeks later their hours were cut back. In my opinion interviewing employers doesn`t really help that much.

Beware:
Past landlords could say anything to get rid of the tenant...LOL..i`ve had this happen personally.

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (epmrentals @ May 2 2009, 12:37 AM) http://www.tenantverification.com/

It was setup when I started but I believe i read here that it doesn`t take to long to get setup. Cost per check is $16.

I haven`t worked with tenant verification and by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had with any company was with Rent check corp.....http://www.rentcheckcorp.com/

Be prepared to go through a long process with many twists and turns. I will never work with them again.

This is definitely a fav subject of mine

invst4profit

Registered
I have not had the need to do criminal checks although I did find out on my own that one applicant was charged with arson. He burned down his previous rental unit.

When checking landlords it is essential that you not only call there present landlord you must call previous landlords. Previous landlords are likely to be more candid with there responses.

For credit checks I do them myself (CheckFirstOnline.com) but charge the applicant up front for the cost. If they end up becoming tenants you may chose to apply it to there first months rent. If the applicant is rejected they forfeit the fee.
This alone often encourages applicants to be more truthful when filling out application forms after I explain my acceptance standards regarding credit checks.

It isn`t a fool proof system though. The last two applicants failed to disclose the fact that they had creditors after them even after I explained that would result in a rejection.

jcab256

Registered
QUOTE (BrianPersaud @ May 13 2009, 11:06 AM) Another way to check up on past landlords is to go the city tax assessment office or ask your real estate agent to check in land registry and see if they are in fact the real owner.

What I do when speaking with previous landlords, is give an incorrect address and see if they correct you

e.g. "I understand that Joe Blow rented a home from you at 123 main street, is this correct?"

The real landlord would correct you, but a friend of the potential tenant likely has no idea what the real address is and would just agree.

housingrental

Registered
I`ve done this too

QUOTE (BrianPersaud @ May 13 2009, 02:06 PM) Another way to check up on past landlords is to go the city tax assessment office or ask your real estate agent to check in land registry and see if they are in fact the real owner.

housingrental

Registered
Greg - Isn`t requiring a fee illegal ?

QUOTE (invst4profit @ May 13 2009, 03:03 PM) I have not had the need to do criminal checks although I did find out on my own that one applicant was charged with arson. He burned down his previous rental unit.

When checking landlords it is essential that you not only call there present landlord you must call previous landlords. Previous landlords are likely to be more candid with there responses.

For credit checks I do them myself (CheckFirstOnline.com) but charge the applicant up front for the cost. If they end up becoming tenants you may chose to apply it to there first months rent. If the applicant is rejected they forfeit the fee.
This alone often encourages applicants to be more truthful when filling out application forms after I explain my acceptance standards regarding credit checks.

It isn`t a fool proof system though. The last two applicants failed to disclose the fact that they had creditors after them even after I explained that would result in a rejection.

invst4profit

Registered
The way I explain it is they are paying for a service rather than paying a fee. I provide them with a copy of the report and the billing to show them the money line.

Goodstuff

Registered
Is it legal to ask for their SIN number?
I thought nobody was allowed to ask for this, legally at least.

But don`t you need it for the credit check?

LillianHo

Registered
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ May 13 2009, 10:18 PM) Is it legal to ask for their SIN number?

You need to ask the tenants to sign a consent form to proceed the credit check. You can either use their SIN or their Name and Birth Date to do credit check. I was using TVS www.tenantverification.com. They are pretty good.

Lillian

invst4profit

Registered
It is legal to ask for a applicants SIN as well as there drivers licence info and everything else you need.

The SIN number is not necessary to complete the credit check but it makes it more accurate and assists in the event you are forced to hire a collection agency to chase delinquent accounts.
The drivers licence assists in confirming the info they put on the application form.
Some applicants may bock at providing info and in that case I simply inform them I have too mush at risk to not do a complete search and deny there application.

Applicants that are hesitant to provide all the info I request are usually hiding something they know will have a negative impact on there application.

housingrental

Registered
You`re not supposed to be doing this... Have you seen this every brought up by a tenant at a ltb hearing? I`ve not seen a specific case on this so curious.. My gut says you can eventually shoot yourself in the foot on this and wouldn`t be a good idea for anyone doing rentals on a regular basis

QUOTE (invst4profit @ May 13 2009, 04:04 PM) The way I explain it is they are paying for a service rather than paying a fee. I provide them with a copy of the report and the billing to show them the money line.

housingrental

Registered
You can ask for a SIN but not require it on an application. I think that you`re supposed to have it clearly listed as optional on any forms.

QUOTE (Goodstuff @ May 14 2009, 01:18 AM) Is it legal to ask for their SIN number?

invst4profit

Registered
[quote name=`housing rental` date=`May 14 2009, 11:43 AM` post=`57725`]
You`re not supposed to be doing this... Have you seen this every brought up by a tenant at a ltb hearing? I`ve not seen a specific case on this so curious.. My gut says you can eventually shoot yourself in the foot on this and wouldn`t be a good idea for anyone doing rentals on a regular basis

I have never seen it brought up and I am not concerned about something this minor.
The RTA allowed landlords to perform credit checks without specifically stating that applicants do or don`t have to pay for it.
An obvious loop hole in my opinion.

[quote name=`housing rental` date=`May 14 2009, 11:45 AM` post=`57727`]
You can ask for a SIN but not require it on an application. I think that you`re supposed to have it clearly listed as optional on any forms.

The SIN may be optional (it`s not optional on my forms) but I do not waste my time on applicants that are not forthcoming with all the information I require to do a through screening.

Sorry I rented to a more qualified applicant.

At this stage landlords are dealing with applicants as opposed to tenants which greatly reduces the likelihood of negative backlash. They have the option of looking elsewhere for rental accommodations if they are not comfortable with the process.
I find with a thorough explanation of the reasons for collecting complete information they are generally co-operative.

Top Bottom