Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Water damaged floor and walls - contractor wants asbestos inspection

Nicola

Registered
Hello,

We have some recent water damage in our walls and floors due to roof leakage, ice damming etc.

Before doing anything the contractor is saying we need an asbestos inspection (from an independent tester - not cheap!). It is a townhouse in NE Edmonton, built in 1979.

Is this a reasonable thing to require?

Thanks!

Eric Peters

Registered
I have no idea if there are secondary issues that raised the Asbestos concern, but in my experience, a 1979 build isn't likely to have asbestos problems, or at least one with reasonable concerns. This one sounds more like a money grab to me. I would look for another contractor.

Nicola

Registered
Thanks Eric. I think so as well (regarding the age of the building).

The contractor wanted us to get an independent inspection, not to do it themselves. They said it is to protect their workers and the occupants.

This is part of the email:

In this certain circumstance, we would testing the drywall joint taping compounds as well as ceiling acoustical texture. These are the more common building materials we find positive results in for this age of building.

Please inform the building owner that the risk of asbestos exposure is very low unless the material is disturbed and allowed to release fibres. We test to ensure the highest level of safety of our workers and the building occupants. If the sample results come back positive we would need to file a Notice Of Project (NOP) with the government prior to commencing any work. As a contractor, we are required by law to complete this.

The last part concerns me in particular...

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Some vinyl composite floor tiles and some drywall mud and stucco still contained asbestos in those days. Once they start ripping things apart, dust will be created that could contain asbestos. Therefore it is not an unreasonable request.

However you will be able to find another contractor that will not require the tests.

ChrisDavies

Registered
This is a new requirement for insurance/contractors - testing is mandatory and it's taking some contractors a while to get it really figured out.

I'm on the board of a north Edmonton townhouse complex and a recent water problem necessitated a similar test. It's reasonable for them to do it, shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars.

Nicola

Registered
Thanks Sherilynn and Chris!

Chris, can you recommend someone who can do the test for only a couple hundred dollars? We were quoted closer to $500, I believe.

Thanks!

Nicola

ChrisDavies

Registered
Here's three I've recommended in the past:

Advanced Remediation
15338 - 123 Ave. NW
Edmonton, AB T5V 1K8
Phone: 1-866-773-1402

Aspen IAQ Laboratories Ltd
10061 166 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6P4Y1
(780) 488-2325

Tritec Environmental Consulting Ltd
(780) 915-7203
2650-10770 Winterburn Rd, Edmonton, AB T5S 1T7

dplummer

Registered
In Ontario homes built before 1985 are all "suspect" .Ontario Reg.278/05 applies to every building in which ACM (asbestos containing material) has been used including a single residential unit if the unit is rented out to someone other then a member of the owners family.Drywall compund, plaster, stucco,various types of flooring are all "suspect"

Doug

kir

Registered
The cost of abestos testing is really a function of the sampling size. Ex., each sample is about 30 bucks.

IF the floor is in question, just cut a small piece and send one sample to a LAB. Drywall and ceiling is a bit trickier since

you need at least one per room.

I hope you dont' have Abestos !

Kir.

Top Bottom