Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTI Supply and Demand Global Volumes

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
I'm doing a bit of digging on global oil prices from a volumetric supply and demand perspective. I'm not looking to start trading in oil futures or anything but I would like to find a site that gives some idea of actual online capacity and supply. I have a suspicion that someone on this forum knows of a good site for this. Some kind of information that could lead to the development of a demand curve would be really useful too (volumes consumed by country and refinement of fuel).

Ideally, it would show output / input volumes by country and some idea of transportation network. I have often seen transportation in infographics but not often as exportable or manipulable data.

I did a report a couple years ago on using embedded real options to hedge oil price fluctuations but I never found a good site to clearly communicate some of the basic information. I'm familiar with the FRED tools as well but didn't find anything sufficiently detailed there.

Surely there are some quants out there like me who have looked into this! Thanks

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Thanks!

A couple of things I found really interesting: (Source: http://www.opec.org/opec_web/static_files_project/media/downloads/publications/MOMR January 2016.pdf)

US_rig_count.png

^ What a drastic rig count drop...and we still see huge growth in crude production. Digging a little deeper into the report, Canada's share of US imports have fairly well stagnated while significant growth from Saudi Arabia and some growth from Venezuela.

Below: (Note that stock is in reference to at hand production, not stock prices)
us_weekly_crude_oil_stocks.png

^ This is a pretty clear reason for crashing WCS prices. Hugely oversupplied market compared to 5-year averages.

And on the global scale:
OECD_oil_stocks.png

All this being said, the demand for Alberta's tight oil has not disappeared and is still forecast to increase.

Top Bottom