Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Contractor Legal Secondary Suite Edmonton

Mitch 6711

New Forum Member
REIN Member
I am looking to to hire a quality contractor that has experience building legal secondary suites in Edmonton. Does anyone have a referral for me?

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hello Mitch,
I am researching a contractor for you.
In the meantime, Marnie, of our office just posted in Announcements a great program offered by the City of Edmonton for grants for building secondary suites. I'm sure they would also have APPROVED contractors.
If you have investment properties in Edmonton and you are interested in building or upgrading a secondary suite this year, check out the second phase of the successful Cornerstones plan offered by the City of Edmonton.

Cornerstones II, underway until the end of 2016 includes grant funding to the popular Secondary Suites program, as well as the new Housing Opportunities Program for Edmonton (HOPE) and the Curb Appeal Program.

To upgrade an existing suite, the basic parameters of eligibility for a homeowner (applicant) include:

• Fund at least 50% of the eligible costs (without relying on other government funding)

• Be the owner of the principal residential unit where the proposed suite upgrade is in

• If the suite is currently rented, the existing tenant, regardless of income, will be permitted to remain in an upgraded suite

• If the suite is not currently rented, it must be rented after the upgrades, to an eligible tenant earning within the maximum income threshold by household size in the city of Edmonton.

• Sign and commit to fulfill the terms and conditions of a five-year operating agreement

• Have no tax arrears on the property

• Hold title or have valid offer to purchase

If you are planning to build a new suite, these are the basic parameters of eligibility for a homeowner (applicant):

• Fund at least 50% of the eligible costs (without relying on other government funding)

• Be the owner-occupier of the principal residential unit where the suite is proposed

• Rent the secondary suite to an eligible tenant earning within the maximum income threshold by household size in the city of Edmonton

• Sign and commit to fulfill the terms and conditions of a five-year operating agreement

• Have no tax arrears on the property

• Hold title or have valid offer to purchase

The Information Guides/Application Forms for either upgrading an existing suite or building a new suite has a more complete set of eligibility criteria, funding parameters and operating terms and conditions. Go to the website with this link for all of the details, FAQs, documents and more.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
@Mitch 6711 try Jeff with SuiteBuilder. http://suitebuilder.com/. He constructed two suites for me, worth getting his opinion of cost on the development at minimum.

Cornerstones II, underway until the end of 2016 includes grant funding to the popular Secondary Suites program, as well as the new Housing Opportunities Program for Edmonton (HOPE) and the Curb Appeal Program.

HOPE is for seniors

Curb Appeal is for commercial businesses looking to increase the curb appeal of their businesses. I don't recall all the details but it requires something in the neighbourhood of $500,000 from the owner and the city matches.

Dustin Racine

www.bwpconstructionedmonton.com
Registered
I am looking to to hire a quality contractor that has experience building legal secondary suites in Edmonton. Does anyone have a referral for me?
Hey Mitch,
I can be reached at 780.233.4713. My company is called Built With Pride Construction Ltd.
www.bwpconstruction.com. I am a plumber/gasfitter by trade but also do general contracting. Have done legal secondary suites in Edmonton in the past. Can provide referrals from past customers, photos, as well as a information package pertaining to the city's cornerstone grant program and the construction process as a whole.
Cheers,
Dustin

AnnaAll

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello.
You may find this information useful. The company has been verified, but I do not know if the city is suitable for you. All this can be found on the website or by phone. Good luck.
Quote: "They left the place clean and the house looks brand new."
http://sidingintoronto.com

Top Bottom