Finding houses to buy

Brian Persson

New Forum Member
Registered
Jul 18, 2017
Hello,

I’m looking for ideas on how to find houses to buy aside from MLS. I’m targeting a specific area in a smaller community.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Dec 14, 2013
Calgary
Hi Brian,

Drive through the neighbourhood you have identified and take note of dilapidated, distressed houses. Pull title, do some research on the owner. Call them up and ask if they are interested in selling. Have an idea of what you can pay for the house.

By narrowing in on the neighbourhood, I'm assuming you have a deep knowledge of the value of land, $/SF of building. If you are a bona-fide expert pre-qualified to buy then there are certainly some deals out there, in practically every neighbourhood.

Build into your margin by buying well. Look for houses well below median $/PSF. If you are putting in a suite, the suite is not worth much on resale so you need the main floor of the house to carry the higher trade value.

David Maxwell

Realtor/Real Estate Investor
Staff member
REIN Member
Apr 11, 2015
You could also have a large amount of business cards made that state to call you if they’re interested in selling. Walk door to door dropping them off.

Devin Roberts

Devin Roberts - Brent Roberts Realty
REIN Member
Nov 17, 2015
I used to post ads on Craigslist saying that I buy homes. Anywhere, any condition, etc. Mainly realtors gave me calls, but a few good fsbo leads