Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Forgotten Utilities

Babyblue1957

New Forum Member
Registered
My landlord forgot to ask for utilities for 19 months. I thought I was paying utilities because I was paying $160 over the base rental price and have 2 cats.. They want the money immediately and I cannot pay it all at once. I rent a basement suite and am to pay 33%. It is a 3 bedroom house, 2 bedroom basement suite. I live alone. The utilities have been over $500 on several occasions as I review the bills they have given me. Any ideas on this?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Not as clear ie potential you owe nothing as landlord bears significant responsibility to collect full rent. Assuming they were sloppy and did not remind you, you would have a good case that you owe them nothing !

Take it to the landlord tenant board and they will likely side with you. What province is this ?

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
19 months late sounds like you have a case to expect things to continue as they were. You have a right as a tenant to rely on past actions of the landlord. I would suggest reaching out to the LL board and if necessary tell the landlord you are willing to go to mediation to resolve it. There is a good chance you will win this.

John Cox

New Forum Member
Registered
If those terms are not set out in the rental contract then the assumption is that the landlord will pay the utilities. Reread your lease/rental contract.

Top Bottom