Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is JV money Taxable?

CraigSmith

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
I am considering a JV partner on an existing property. They would give me 20% of the Appraised value for 50% of the cashflow, mortgage paydown and any appreciation. My question is, If I take their 20% downpayment and I already have my own 20% into the property, is the money I collect from them considered to be taxable or is it similar to a refinance where it is treated like a debt and is not taxable?

Thank you for your time,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
A JV contribution is equity, and as such it reduces not only your future profit, but also reduces your invested capital ie your equity also referred to as your adjusted cost base (ACB). It may even be taxable to you if it exceeds your ACB.

Example: You bought a house for $300,000 a few years back with $60,000 down plus a $240,000 mortgage, and you depreciated it for a few years, so now your ACB ie your remaining equity is $50,000. The house today is worth $450,000 and the mortgage down to $200,000. Your paper equity is now $250,000. You sell 50% of future upside for 20% of value ie $90,000. You now have a taxable gain of $40,000, ie the difference between your ACB of $50,000 and what JV partner paid you. You have to declare the $50,000 as a gain that year in your annual tax filing.

The JV partner will have to pay taxes on their eventual gain. So if their $90,000 is eventually $150,000 they would declare a capital gain of $60,000. You report your gain on your share.

Annual ACB loss allocations may apply going forward 50/50 to both of you. Talk to an accountant about that.

Thomas Beyer
Asset Manager, Investor, Author, Father, Mentor www.prestprop.com

==> Check out our latest RRSP or TFSA eligible two year investment with a 40%+ yield target at www.investoliver.ca

Last edited:

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
I think it will reduce your ACB and you may end up owing tax if the equity take out is greater than your ACB. Unless you developed the property yourself, it probably won't be. Just keep in mind the trailing tax liability on the back end.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I think it will reduce your ACB and you may end up owing tax if the equity take out is greater than your ACB. Unless you developed the property yourself, it probably won't be. Just keep in mind the trailing tax liability on the back end.

Indeed. See example above.

Thomas Beyer
Asset Manager, Investor, Author, Father, Mentor www.prestprop.com

==> Check out our latest RRSP or TFSA eligible two year investment with a 40%+ yield target at www.investoliver.ca

Last edited:
Top Bottom